Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new to this forum but have found a wealth of information on here. I am wanting to buy a new 1895GBL but have been reading about different serial numbers, remington vs marlin, etc. From what i've read, I want a marlin serial but what do I look for? Anyone have any good places to purchase this firearm? Selection in Denver is limited. I've been looking at a few online retailers but haven't called them yet to check place of manufacture.

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Not sure what you have available to you out that way Dick's Cabela's ect I would try.. even Walmart .. Hope some members from your area may be able to help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you want a "Genuine Marlin" you are going to probably have to try some pawn shops, gun broker or maybe some out of the way gun stores in your area to see if they have some squirreled away. I am sure there are still some out there but you are going to have to hunt (no pun) for them. I was lucky to buy one of the last batches of .338 MX to come out of the New Haven plant, beautiful rifle and boy does it group well. I think things will come around though, seem like during transition times things go to hell but I have hope the quality of Marlins will once again be reestablished......may be wishful thinking. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys and keep it coming. Yes, I have access to Dicks, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Wal Mart but I am not sure ordering one of what I am getting. I have been looking around but pretty set on a GBL as I like the laminate, big loop and pistol grip. I saw one at Sportsmans yesterday but didn't know about the different serial number codes, etc. and they wanted 580 which seemed pretty high.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
If you really want a pre-Remington Marlin then you ought to pass on any one that has a serial number that starts with MR. Those are definitely made by Remington in Ilion, NY.

Having said that, we have two Marlins built in Ilion, and both of them are well made. My wife's 336Y has one of the smoothest actions I've ever felt on a Marlin. The trigger pull weight, however, is kind of heavy, but that's easy to fix. My 336W is not nearly as smooth, but it should work out with use. The trigger pull weight is excellent, however. We're happy with both of them.

You just have to scrutinize very carefully any Marlins built in Ilion to make sure that they're right before laying out any cash.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
I personally handled close to 40 "new" Marlins from Ilion, NY this week and gotta say I'd run from most of em. I don't want to come off overly negative but I was shocked at how bad the fit & finish were on most of them. There were some exceptions but my point is this; don't buy a new one sight unseen. If it's new hold it in your hands, work the action and check the fit & finish before you pay any money.

Good luck in your hunt, great ones are out there!

1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
You can also check or post a "wanted to buy" in the for sale section here at MO's......towards the bottom of the home page.
They come up for sale every now and then....Look for a serial # with a 91 prefix and the JM proof stamp on the receiver end of the barrel.

The GBL is definitely a cool rifle! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts