Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm sure I'm not the only one but hear in Alaska powder is scarce! I was hoping to find some more unique for my gallery loads in my 45/70 gs but am having no luck. I have some blue dot which is the fastest burn rate powder I have on hand and was wondering if anybody had any experience using this? I am loading a single .457 round ball, or a.490 resized to .457 so you have a longer bearing surface for stability in my guid gun. This is for grouse, rabbits, and etc. If you have any info or criticism it all will help in this endeavor. Thanks in advance Justin

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
7.5/ Unique put rb's in pretty good groups from my .45-70. As i recall, i put a folded 1" squre of toilet paper Over the powder charge for the best consistancy. Since BD is slower burning, 10 grs. Should work pretty well.

w30wcf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much 30wcf:biggrin: It sucks starting over but that's half the fun! I used 8 grains of blue dot with a wonder wad over the powder w/ a light crimp on the bullet. This would average 2" groups to 30 yards no prob. Thanks again for your input Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts