Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
I live in VA but if you tell me when and what hoops i may need to jump through I would love to try my .45-70 on some hogs. How far in Georgia is the question I have made keystone heights FL in 10 hours from my house. Friday- Sunday noramlly avaible

·
Banned
457 Posts
bring home the bacon fella's

Reactions: cds4570

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
That sounds tempting even for me that has to drive a few hours. I don't think you will have any trouble getting help if he is over run but if you do let me know and I am sure we can get you some bullets.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
I live in VA but if you tell me when and what hoops i may need to jump through I would love to try my .45-70 on some hogs. How far in Georgia is the question I have made keystone heights FL in 10 hours from my house. Friday- Sunday noramlly avaible
If you got to Keystone heights you had already gone through Georgia. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've got 300 rounds being loaded locally next week when my order from leadheads gets in. from the sound of it, he's got a very serious problem. it's about 2 hours south of where i am. hell, worst case he gets a hotel room or 2 for a couple nights for us in return for solving the problem. i'm looking at the wildlife tech green lights as we speak.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Free hog huntin in Georgia? That shouldn't be to hard finding some volunteers together to clear out the Hams and bacon and sausage from the property.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Reactions: punch

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Hmmmm... Interesting :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not again.......! Feral Hog Control in East Texas - THR

Read from start to finish. A bunch of huckleberries making noise and shooting up the place will only make the surviving hogs smarter, and not solve the problem. You can get a plan from the thread above.
agreed. definitely not going to take a bunch of randoms down. maybe 1 or 2 others besides myself. just wanted to get a feel and see if anyone was in the area that has more experience than i do. i'm new to hog hunting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and from what i was told, he has been trying to trap to no avail. said he's tired of feeding the deer and turkeys. i'll def suggest a camera though to zero in on the exact area.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Man this is tempting, I'm in SC, about 40 minutes from Georgia....I know a few local MO folks that might want to go as well, depending on when. Let us know the details AJ! I'm not "volunteering"......yet.... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
What he needs is a sniper team with suppressed 45/70's equipped with night vision scopes, at least gen 2 or better...
A tall tree type stand with 360* visibility where the longest shot is no more than 250 yards, and good IR iluminators set up in the tree edges where markers
can help determine the distances.... ie: 50, 100, 150, etc... I think ir ilum sticks are still available to the general public at a cost but would be effective for range markers...
If ilum sticks are not available then ir led's with 3v batteries/flashers are out there to be used for range markers...if you google led flashers diy it should show some schematics etc... set the flashers up for a flash interval to show the distance from the shooter.... ie 5 sec, 10 sec, etc

just an idea of what to do... oh, and have fun pulling an all nighter... or two...

If you reload, keep the mv below 1100fps to keep the noise level down, doesn't scare off the rest of the pigs... also load up the heaviest bullet you can accurately shoot... for a range of 250yds or so a 500 grain flatnose bullet should do the job nicely...
a team of 4 persons (2 per team) set up at 90* angles with predetermined lines of fire will cover most of the fields. and make quick work of the pigs or whatever is eating the crops...
and again, have fun... bacon smoked is pretty good eating...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah. after reading that thread above, def going to start with looking for visual and setting up a camera. i ordered a green light for the rifle as well that's supposed to give visibility to 200 yds. I talked to a friend in SC and he said he'd bring a stand down and sit out there for a few nights. the property is like an hour south of me, so it's not too bad to go down every weekend or whatever. but i'm definitely seeing that this is going to take patience and work, not just set up and shoot.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm in AL so I'm not that far away. Give us some details. Arangments can always be made. Me and my dad us to hunt them with dogs.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
You had better call your friend's uncle and tell him to step outside. There may already be two dozen pickup trucks in his driveway. :ahhhhh:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
yeah. after reading that thread above, def going to start with looking for visual and setting up a camera. i ordered a green light for the rifle as well that's supposed to give visibility to 200 yds. I talked to a friend in SC and he said he'd bring a stand down and sit out there for a few nights. the property is like an hour south of me, so it's not too bad to go down every weekend or whatever. but i'm definitely seeing that this is going to take patience and work, not just set up and shoot.
Did the Ga lawmakers ever completely pass the hunting with a suppressed firearm??? I saw where on 27 Feb 14 the senate passed it but it was headed for the house and haven't heard anything on it since...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts