Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm having some trouble deciding which dies (manufacturer) I need. I have access to a set of Redding dies which I understand are quite good, but I also have a good supply of Hornady Gummy brass. I think I remember reading that regular dies can't adjust down to use this brass. My question is does the Hornady dies adjust up enough to load regular jacketed or cast bullets in standard brass. I want to begin load development for a few different rifles and want a set I can use for short and standard brass depending on what the guns like. I have been loading for pistols for several years now but am new to the rifle game. Right now my SBL is doing well with the factory Hornady flex tips so I may end up loading those. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'd recommend getting two sets of dies, the Hornady New Dimension dies for the gummy tips with the short Hornady brass, and another set for your standard brass. You will definitely need the Hornady dies however, my RCBS dies struggle when I try to load gummy tips....it's a good idea to have two sets anyway, this way you can use your Hornady dies exclusively for the short brass and a set of RCBS dies for everything else.
Just my .02

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Depends upon how much you reload and how much you shoot. Is it worth another $50-60 to save time by having one set of dies ready for Hornady brass and another ready for standard brass?

I have separate sets of dies, or at least separate seating dies, for my 38 special cowboy, 38 special 158gr, and 148 gr wadcutters, but then I reload a lot of these. I also have another set ready for .357 mag. All these are mounted in Hornady LNL bushings for really quick set up and changes. The time consuming step here is resetting the powder measure for each load, but even there I can return to the correct setting on the micrometer stem.

OTOH I load my 45-70 on a single stage press and it's no big deal to reset the travel on the seater die... If you intend to reload the XTPs, you will need a Hornady die to be able to set the crimp location for the shorter Hornady XTP brass. Or, as I do, use a separate crimp die after using the standard seater to place the bullets. It's another step, but really doesn't take that long to run the loads though another die. Many insist that accuracy will be better if one does not seat and crimp in one operation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i use rcbs dies and a lee factory crimp die and I use the impossible to load ftx bullets and short brass with no problems. have loaded and shot god only knows how many hundreds in 4 different rifles.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. In short, full length dies can be adjusted down somewhat like using a 44 mag die to do 44 specials? I do plan on using a Lee crimp die in a separate step. The lee FCD has served me well for 44s and 10mms so the extra step is normal for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts