Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 444 SS. When I put a fifth round into the magazine, the lever pops open and the cartridge carrier comes up with a round on it.

A couple of weeks ago I had a problem with the lever popping open after firing a round. Trying to see what was happening I worked the lever slowly and had a double feed. Of course the rifle was jammed with the lever completely open and shooting was done for the day. I found a very good step by step dissemble thread on this site and took the whole rifle completely apart for inspection and cleaning. I found what looked like scraps of paper jammed in a place that may have kept the lever from closing completely. I also found some gunky sticky oil or grease sludge in some areas, especially in the magazine tube. Everything is clean and lightly oiled now and the action works slickly. The lever doesn't seem to be trying to pop open during recoil anymore, and I haven't had any double feeds.

With the rifle on the bench the lever opens as I put the fifth round into the loading gate. If I'm holding the lever closed and load five rounds it pops open when I let it go and the round comes up on the carrier. Anyone know what might be causing this? I suppose I could live with just having four rounds in the magazine at a time if I have to, but I'd rather make it right.

Thanks,

mike

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
If I am not mistaken...and somebody correct me if I am wrong....I believe you should only have 4 in the magazine and one in the chamber? Both of my Marlins are modified so I only have 3 in the magazine and one in the chamber...they are 4 shot rifles....and, I only hunt with 2 in the magazine and one in the chamber, and a few in a pocket.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but for some reason I had it in my mind that the magazine held five. :vollkommenauf: I hope you're correct. Nothing to fix would be the best outcome.

This fall will be the first deer season that the 444 Marlin can be used in a rifle. I don't know what the Ohio Department of Natural Resources is going to make us do about how many rounds can be in the rifle. The only thing they have on their website refers to last year's rules for shotguns that specify magazines plugged to hold no more than two plus one in the chamber. If they restrict us to two I'm hoping they will allow us to use dummy cartridges. Plugging a Marlin isn't as simple as most shotguns, and I wonder how guys with Ruger 44 mag auto loaders, bolts and levers could comply with their rotary mags.

I don't have any problem hunting with three rounds. Before I got lever gun crazy I did most of my rifle hunting with single shot Ruger No 1s.

Are you restricted to 3 in the magazine by law or by choice?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
no...the only magazine restriction that I know of is that auto loaders can have no more than 11 rounds in the magazine. I have never seen a need for more than three, and have never had a need for more than two, and that was only on one occasion. If you maintain your single shot hunting attitude you should not have a problem!!!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you have a standard 14.5" magazine tube, you should only be able to load 4 rounds in the tube. If you manage to get a 5th round in there, the lever should not pop open, though.
How hard are you pushing, to force that 5th round in?

Plugging a Marlin isn't as simple as most shotguns, and I wonder how guys with Ruger 44 mag auto loaders, bolts and levers could comply with their rotary mags.
Plugging a 444 is simpler than many shotguns. Modern shotguns are pretty simple to plug, but many older designs had complicated, or delicate, disassembly procedures.

For barrel band Marlins, you just have to remove one screw. -Remove the magazine cap* screw, release tension on the spring as you remove the mag tube cap, insert your plug, reinstall the cap, and reinstall the screw.

For tip cap Marlins, you have to remove 3 screws. -Remove the fore-end tip cap screws, slide the tip cap and fore-end forward about 1/4-3/8", remove the mag tube stud screw (goes through mag tube cap*), pivot magazine tube assembly down and away from barrel just enough to clear the stud, release tension on the spring as you remove the mag tube cap, insert your plug, reinstall the cap, pivot the mag tube assembly back onto the stud, slide the fore-end and tip cap back into position, and reinstall the screws.

*(For sake of clarity and to avoid confusion, I used the word "cap" instead of "plug", which is the common name for the part that plugs the end of the magazine tube.)

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any experience with older pump or auto loading shotguns, but a Mossberg 500 pump I bought once came with a wooden dowel, O rings, and instructions on how to put them in. Doesn't get much easier.

My 444 is a tip cap type. The pictures and instructions I used to remove the fore end and magazine were just as you describe. Mine doesn't work quite that way though. The "tube cap" does not remove. It is solidly attached to the magazine tube. Once the mag tube cap screw is removed and the assembly pivoted down and away, the magazine spring comes out the back end. I expected the mag tube to be just a straight cylinder and was surprised to see the 3 or 4 inch long addition towards the bottom that made that part oblong. There is a corresponding channel in the fore end that causes you to have to kind or roll the mag tube in or out of the fore end.

I actually enjoyed taking the gun apart and putting it back together. It's a very ingenious design that's very easy to work on.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
The 5 round may developed to much spring pressure overcoming the stop.

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Last I heard, the ODNR will be restricting the rifles to a total of 3 rounds. A plug in the magazine tube is not required. It will be honor system, but they will be checking rifle hunters. Under this system, I personally would not want to have dummy rounds in the magazine. It would violate the letter of the law, and I would not trust the ODR officers to recognize them as dummy rounds. And it would be just my luck to get them mixed up with the live rounds...

Shotguns are still required to be plugged for a total of 3 rounds. The short rifle slugs (I think they were 1 1/2" and made by Aguilla) are not permitted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Last I heard, the ODNR will be restricting the rifles to a total of 3 rounds. A plug in the magazine tube is not required. It will be honor system, but they will be checking rifle hunters. Under this system, I personally would not want to have dummy rounds in the magazine. It would violate the letter of the law, and I would not trust the ODR officers to recognize them as dummy rounds. And it would be just my luck to get them mixed up with the live rounds...

Shotguns are still required to be plugged for a total of 3 rounds. The short rifle slugs (I think they were 1 1/2" and made by Aguilla) are not permitted.
You are correct sir.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I seated bullets in a couple of damaged cases without any primer. Hopefully no one would confuse that with a live round. I suppose I could cross drill the cases to make it even more obvious. Snap caps would work too.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am plugging my leverguns in case somebody in my area goes "full auto" I will be able to easily prove to the ODNR it wasn't me.

BB

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
Crying shame a guy comes here asking for an assist, then someone comes in and sends the thread off on another tangent. Geez guys it's called HI JACKING a thread. Start your own.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
If I am not mistaken...and somebody correct me if I am wrong....I believe you should only have 4 in the magazine and one in the chamber? Both of my Marlins are modified so I only have 3 in the magazine and one in the chamber...they are 4 shot rifles....and, I only hunt with 2 in the magazine and one in the chamber, and a few in a pocket.
I believe Flat Top is right, your magazine is a 4 round. If you do manage to get a 5th in their I suspect the undo pressure would cause the lever to pop open.
JB

·
Registered
661 Posts
My model P outfitter holds five in the mag tube, been loading it that way since day one and it works just fine. That is with Remington 240 grain flatnose and the hornady 265 gummy tips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts