Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I'll do my best to keep this accurate and easy to follow.

Followed the stripping 1895 pictorial last nite and afterwards cycled/fired a bunch of snap caps. Went to the range today, hail and all, and after 10 rounds had a FTF. The lever was all the way "open" and a cartridge was about 1/2" out of the mag tube. Complete vapor lock. I've got about 200 rounds w/out issues prior to the strip down(1st time).

Got home, stripped down, cleared the round, reassembled and managed to repeat the jamb after about 20 cycles. Stripped down again, cleared the round. However this time during reassembly I swapped locations of two very similar but obviously different screws. No FTF, shoot 20 rounds at the range withou issue.

Did I find the problem? The screws(# 72 & #73 it looks like on scematic)sure seemed to be doing the same job in both locations. Possible I have a FTF waiting to happen again? Matt

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
sowastrong said:
Did I find the problem? The screws(# 72 & #73 it looks like on scematic)sure seemed to be doing the same job in both locations. Possible I have a FTF waiting to happen again? Matt
Left out this little bit before. ;D

Those two screws “look the same” but are “different lengths”… And you have solved your own problem dude... 8)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
So that's what happened.
Mate's 1895 G was taken down to fit a WW trigger and reassembled, now we know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feeling like a dipstick right about now. As Bill Engvall is fond of saying," Here's your sign." oh well. Good lesson, and some good practice stripping down to boot. Thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
sowastrong said:
Feeling like a dipstick right about now. As Bill Engvall is fond of saying," Here's your sign." oh well. Good lesson, and some good practice stripping down to boot. Thanks, Matt
LOLOL - Well now you know :)

Don't ask me how i know this ::) EDIT ::)

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Rowdy said:
LOLOL - Well now you know :)

Don't ask me how i know this ::) but put the (long screw) in the bottom and it'll bind up the follower ;)

But the long screw does go in the bottom...and the short one on the side of the reciever...Don't it?

Well thats how I always do it and no issues. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
lever addict said:
But the long screw does go in the bottom...and the short one on the side of the reciever...Don't it?

+1 Same here?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
lever addict said:

LMAO – my bad ;D
The long screw goes in the bottom and the short one in the left side.

The dipstick convention must be in town this week. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Rowdy said:
LMAO – my bad ;D
The long screw goes in the bottom and the short one in the left side.

The dipstick convention must be in town this week. ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D

Matt,

I hope you're all set now.
Please keep us updated!!!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I always use making tape to label the screws when I disassemble the guns because I have a bad habit of not remembering what goes where.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Yup that bottom screw fits in the side but won't let the lifter operate proper. The short one seems to be long enough to hold the front of the triggerplate in. It would have been nice if they were both the same size and keep everyones IQ from slipping now and then. ;D

Bottom line it's a common problem amongst Marlin Addicts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's some great stuff, had me laughing out loud. I've already decided that I need to use some sort of labeling method. But seriously thanks for the input; won't happen again....atleast until Uncle Murphy decides to pay a visit. Matt

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
No need to label! It's like a puzzle. Each screw only fits in one hole except for the two trigger plate screws. Just remember the long one goes on the bottom. If you put the long one in the side it's going to contact the moving parts...no good. All the others only fit in their own spot. Easy!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Sometimes before attempting any wiring or automotive work that I may not be fimiliar with, I take pics of it all with my cell phone before tearing into it!!!

I can't tell you how many times it has helped me out!!!

Plus you can forward it along to someone that knows what they're doing to help you get things back together again!!! LOL!!! ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts