Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help shipping a rifle, UPS wanted $70. Can anyone recomend a good way to ship a rifle from non FFL to FFL or Marlin?
RF

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Must be a dang heavy rifle! Last one I shipped by united pickle suckers set me back 14 bucks. Fred-Ex costs about the same. SW

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mr. Redi Fredi how much of that shipping price is insurance? If the gun is quite valuable the insurance alone will double the price. You can ship a shotgun or rifle through the US Postal Service as well as UPS, Fed Ex, or other courier. As long as you are shipping it regular and not by air I would say go to another UPS outlet or better yet go to The Post Office. I always seem to get treated better at the Post Office than anywhere else.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Redie Fredie said:
I could use some help shipping a rifle, UPS wanted $70. Can anyone recomend a good way to ship a rifle from non FFL to FFL or Marlin?
RF
SCREW UPS

1) Validate ship-to FFL at the ATF web site under EZ CHECK.
2) Make sure rifle is unloaded. If hammer extension is on hammer take it off, wrap it and secure it. Same with other attachments.
3) Remove butt-stock; wrap it and insulate it. Put screw back into it's place in the receiver...reduces chance of stock being broken via ruff handling.
4) Wrap and secure barreled action, make sure front sight hood has been removed and secured
5) Make 3 copies of shipping labels. Put one on each side(Front and Back)
Take it to a store which handles USPS mail. Keep 3rd copy for yourself.

First Class or Priority(is a waste of money) Insurance and Delivery Confirmation.

"non FFL to FFL or Marlin?"...
Not sure what you mean here: You do not need an FFL to ship a fire arm to an FFL.....You can not ship a handgun via USPS, if you're not an FFL...

End

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
"My Empire" must be in a different solar system to cost $70! I've never paid over $20, even with over $1,000 insurance!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I just paid $8 & some change thru Fed Ex, that with $500 ins. They cracked the stock :x but I'm not going thru the BS as it was shipped to get a new one anyway. I think I'd recomend taking the butstock off on the basis of my first firearm shipping experience. I almost did but at the last minute decided the original box was good enuff once, so why not? :oops:
Ya live & ya learn I guess. :)

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shipping

UPS insisted that it be sent next day air. I believe they were either misinformed as only handguns need next day air. Or they (or the suits)are closet anti's and wanted to work me over.
Sent USPS for $22.50 2-day w/ins.

I did not take the stock off so now I'm paranoid about damage. I believe I packed it good though.
Not anxious to try to go through UPS again as I also wasted time going to a UPS store and got turned away. My bad, but the second time was on them.
God Bless
RF

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also

gunpowder

Greybeard(outdoors.com) differs with you on the anybody to FFL shipping. They require FFL to FFL. Might be a Law in some States.

Sav

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ditto Marlin Mike------I have done it many times and did it this last week and nothing changed from South Florida to where ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpikeMaster49 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I bought a used Marlin 336/35 Rem. while visiting my daughter up in Wisconsin. It was calling my name from behind the counter...so pitiful...just had to rescue it. :D

I also bought an airline-approved (plastic) hard case to bring it back to Wyoming via O'Hare Airport/United Airlines.

Since then I have used that case to ship long guns via UPS without any damages. For bolt guns I remove the bolt and isolate it with some extra bubble-wrap. At the UPS shop they sometimes want to see inside the case so I don't seal it until shipped. I take some of those nylon (?) locking strips with me and run them through the padlock holes. A couple of wraps of tape clear around the case and it's good to go.

The case looks pretty scroungy what with tape goo and old shipping label scum all over it. But it works and has been a good investment.

·
Registered
497 Posts
UPS is making you pay next day air because that's their policy for firearms. Just disassemble the gun and tell them it's parts, NOT A GUN. If they insist on knowing exactly, tell them it's firearms related components sent for service and repair.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: UPS

BABore
Unless UPS has a new policy that they haven't posted only handguns are next day air. However, anti-gun clerks can try to interpit that way.
RF

·
Registered
180 Posts
My local UPS is terrible to deal with when it comes to shipping guns. I called the major UPS hub to complain and was told they go along with their local UPS stores (and it's managers) policy. Now I only ship USPS priority mail. It costs a little more but they are easier to deal with. Also when UPS delivers me something it usually looks like their truck ran over it!! No more UPS for me!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Take it to Fed EX.----UPS jacked me around once too often on guns-- I refuse to do any businesswith them at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
my dealer charges 25 bucks to ship. That includes FFL, packing the gun in a new hardcase (that is 10 bucks their cost), and their time. I feel like it is an excellent deal. I just drop it off and they do the rest, to include tracking for me and the buyer.

Then I just browse around, buy a few guns, and leave :p

·
Banned
461 Posts
I've shipped UPS, US Mail and FedEx. Check out US Mail. They will ship it without hassles, unless you have a anti-gun nut at the window. Long arms shipping requires you to ship to an FFL or Mfg as stated already. Pistols are FFL to FFL only. Handguns have the most restrictions. I've not had any rifles damaged by leaving them together. I just make sure that when I pack them in styrofoam peanuts or wrap them in bubble wrap, that they don't shake or move any whatsoever inside the closed box. You can also request that they postman stamp the box FRAGILE on the outside. Tell them there are some glass parts inside if they get to asking why. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just to clarify, handguns can be shipped by anyone to a manufacturer. They can also be shipped from the manufacturer directly back to the consumer. This is standard practice with all the manufacturers.

The overnighting of handguns is not required by law. It is policy at UPS and Fed-Ex. I just call them "machined parts" on the form.

USPS will not ship handguns. How they got away with that regulation is beyond me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wuchak, The USPS will ship handguns, just not for non-FFL houlders. As stated on this thread already to ship handguns USPS they must go FFL to FFL. Regards, Byron

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it is an especially long box the Post Office charges extra but overall I have had no trouble shipping with USPS. Usually less than $15.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts