Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my dad's Marlin 336SC in .32 Special with K (1953) serial number. He put a scope on it more than 30 years ago and I would like to restore the original iron sights. However, The parts I have from his parts box don't quite seem right. The rest of this question is split into rear and front sight questions.

Rear Sight

I have what I believe is the entire original rear sight. But I also seem to have the barrel dovetail filled with a threaded mount for some kind of rail (just sitting on dovetail base in second picture). Does anyone know what this is for? The mount in the dovetail is glued in with some white, putty-like material. It doesn't tap out with a punch. How can I remove it? See the pictures (the original sight is just laying on the barrel). Does the original "pointed" sight base just tap into the dovetail? Does the elevation blade just sit underneath the front sight base when properly set in the dovetail?

2013-02-03 11.19.12 (Small).jpg 2013-02-03 11.19.38 (Small).jpg 2013-02-03 11.19.53 (Small).jpg 2013-02-03 11.19.22 (Small).jpg

Front Sight

The barrel is threaded to screw on the front sight, but the front sight that I have has no screw mount. Perhaps it is the wrong one, but it looks like what I remember from many years ago (note that the sight blade is just tapped into the dovetail so it does not get lost and the front sight base is just sitting on the barrel). Any thoughts on what I have here?
2013-02-03 11.20.41 (Small).jpg

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Merlin,

Your timing is good because this subj was recently addressed. Go to Gunbroker and search on this auction (now completed but still there) 325856804 . It shows the exact sights that should be on your Marlin.

Rear sight: Have no idea what kind of monkey tchit was used to hold that dovetail in place, but try tapping with a brass punch - tap from the left side of your rifle. If it does not drift out with reasonable beef applied you may have to use heat to break it loose. I would remove the fore stock for this effort. Hopefully something like lacquer thinner will remove any residue. Gently tap the original sight back in the dovetail from the right- without the elevator ramp in place. I use a business card under it to keep the long end from scratching the Bbl.

Front sight: What you show ain't it. Again look at the GB pics. The original is a long ramp, 2 screws and had a round hood, should you wish to put a hood back on. Looks like you'll need the ramp, gold bead insert and screws. You might try a WTB here, or try some of the parts houses. A while back I ordered a long ramp from Numrich and they sent me a medium length ramp (for a later model). It was new, but rough, as if it needed final surface prep and finish. If you want recommendations on parts houses, post here and I'm sure you'll get some good leads.

Edited to add: Forgive the bad manners, Welcome to the MO site. A wealth of info and your fellow members are all top-notch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, DonW. I went ahead and bought a front sight from Numrich which has the short ramp that you described. At least it fits and I'll keep looking for the right one. I still haven't opened the dovetail. I realized that the piece that is in there supports a small dovetail rail that had once held a small scope (like a .22 scope). Unfortunately I think the piece in the dovetail is epoxied. I will try heat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts