Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Marlin rifles but need help with a guesstimate of a 336cs's value. It is a 1996 JM 35 Remington in excellent condition (as new). It has sharp checkering no dings, scratches or scuffs. A decently

figured piece of walnut. What I found strange after reading many posts here is that the trigger is a very crisp 3 3/4 lbs with no creep or other nastiness.

I need to make a cash offer. It is going to the high offer with no followup finagaling.

What is it worth? what should I offer. I do not mind paying what it is worth.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Just depends on your location and how much you want it. I have 3 nice 35's post safety models & they could go for $500-550.
Has he got an asking price? Sometimes you can find em for 300 - 450.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hey! Welcome! I can't offer advice on your prospective purchase but I saw you were new here so I just want to welcome you. Hope you stick around. It's a nice place to hang. Good luck getting that gun--I'd be willing to go top dollar for it. That doesn't mean it's "worth" top dollar tho...

Tim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It started out as a trade deal until word got out and a couple other interested parties got involved. One offered $450 sight unseen but I actually already had the rifle in hand and have a better idea of its condition. He claims that there are only two boxes of shells through it and it was never even carried out in the woods.

The new version can be had for $476
I am in NH

·
Registered
220 Posts
Blue Book guide:

MODEL 336C (336CS) CARBINE
.30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., 20 in. barrel, blued steel barrel band with swivel stud, 6 shot tube mag., hammer block safety, gold-plated trigger, American black walnut pistol grip stock (cut checkering became standard 1994), rubber rifle butt pad, hammer block safety, 7 lbs. Introduced 1984.
Grading100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
MSR $635$485$415$360$315$285$260$225
During 2001, this model's nomenclature was changed from 336CS to 336C.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Take nice pics of it and post it on GB.Start at $500.See what happens.
I just sold a pristine 1996 444 on GB.Had buy here for $800.Was gone in 30 min.Wish I did an auction.Coulda got more.

Reactions: BrianL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue Book guide:

MODEL 336C (336CS) CARBINE
.30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., 20 in. barrel, blued steel barrel band with swivel stud, 6 shot tube mag., hammer block safety, gold-plated trigger, American black walnut pistol grip stock (cut checkering became standard 1994), rubber rifle butt pad, hammer block safety, 7 lbs. Introduced 1984.
Grading100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
MSR $635$485$415$360$315$285$260$225
During 2001, this model's nomenclature was changed from 336CS to 336C.
Does not have the gold plated trigger. Does that mean that it has the enhanced trigger that I read about here?

·
Registered
133 Posts
What I did on a 1974 pre-safety model that I came across that was the .35 Remington I had always wanted was to first of all be totally honest with myself and I decided what was the maximum I was willing to pay for the rifle. That would be the price that any more and I would be happy to see someone else get the rifle, but high enough that I would not wish I had offered more if I did not get it. Once you set that price you can make your offer and rest easy no matter which way it goes. I was able to get that rifle and am very happy with it. If someone had offered more and got the rifle I would have wished them well with their new rifle. What a rifle is worth really depends you, what YOU are willing to pay for it. If you aren't honest with yourself you will end up unhappy win or lose, but you will mostly lose.

Just my buck fifty!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is sage advice. I have to rein myself in sometimes. As it happens, I have dies and molds for 35 Rem that I bought for my grandson's Remington 141. Right after I bought that stuff, his dad sold the rifle. My pitch to my wife is that I am saving a lot of money that I would normally have to spend with a new caliber.........she mentioned that I had already spent the money years ago....she is sharp

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weird but good news. Just got off the phone with the owner. Apparently he needed cash more than he could justify trading so he took my original pre trade offer of $375. Stand up guy.
I own it now and he threw in the case, sling, scope mount, two boxes of brass and one box of new Core locs. I will have many more questions. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
985 Posts
WOW! Outstanding!!! He'd-a seen me coming... I would have paid WAY more than that for that gun (as you described it). Congrats! I am SO jealous!!!!!

Tim

Reactions: BrianL
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.