Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, looking to "retire" my hand me down A5 as it was a given to me by my now deceased Dad. Would just like to clean it up and take it out for trap on occasion. So, I would like to stick with a semi auto, primary use of squirrel and rabbit, occasional use on dove/quail, and possibly turkey. This will be my all around scatter gun as the budget doesn't have enough room for 3-4 specialty shotguns right now. I think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 guns. (Not marlins but hopefully y'all will forgive me)

1) stoeger M2000 24" barrel, pistol grip, advantage timber camo, IC M F XF chokes, chambers 2 3/4" and 3", $375 about a 2 hr drive to pick it up

2) stoeger M3500 24" barrel, straight grip, black, IC M F XF chokes, chambers 2 3/4" 3" and 3 1/2" $525, available locally

3) remington 11-87 26" barrel, wood on blue, IC M F chokes, chambers 2 3/4" and 3", $550 also local pick up.

Hopefully y'all wonderful people can help me on this very difficult decision.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Opinions.are.like..........you.know!
shotguns.to.me.are.a.personal.preference.type.decision.....
certainly.all.you.have.mentioned.will.work.for.what.you.have.
described.
I.would.pick.the.one.that.fits.you.best....and.points.most.natural.
With.the.one's.you.have.mentioned.......if.it.were.me.........11-87..hands.down.
I.love.my.shotguns!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd have to choose the 11-87. We have had three Stoeger 2000s in the family and now we only have one. The one we retained has been a solid performer. The other two were problem children from the get-go. Failures to eject, weak action springs, bolt handles coming off during shooting, and failures to return to battery. Both went back to Stoeger and they did repair the specific problems with each, yet other issues would crop up later. Interestingly the oldest one (made in 2005) was, and still is, a good performer. The two that we ended up trading were purchased in 2008 and 2009 respectively. I know Stoeger has improved their quality in the past couple of years so this may not be quite the issue it was before. However, based on my experience, I'd have to pick the 11-87. I don't own an 11-87, but do have an 1100.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
11-87, no doubt, American made, all steel, parts easy to get, a no brainer.

Reactions: Wheres the bears?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My hunting buddy had a stoeger and finally got rid of it for 11-87. His stoeger always had jamming issues. That's all I know. I shoot a winchester sx2 and never have any issues

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I vote the 11-87 also. I got a Stoeger Uplander for cowboy action, but it just never felt right to me. A bit on the heavy side, balance not quite there, and forearm too fat for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would definitely go with the 11-87. It is a excellent choice for an all around do it all shotgun. I bought mine in 1988 and it has provided good service on clays, ducks, deer, and doves. I have other guns now that I use for clays and upland game, but the 11-87 is still my go to gun for turkey or duck hunting. I bought my sons 20ga 11-87's as their first shotguns. The gas action absorbs recoil on heavy loads. The gun balances and shoots well and will hold it own against much more expensive shotguns at the range or the field. Parts and additional barrels are easy to obtain. You will find it handles similar to your Auto-5 which is another one of my favorite scatterguns.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Why a semi auto? I have had all varieties of shotguns and find a double gun most satisfying. They are easier to load and unload, can be rendered 100% safe with the flick of the top lever, give a choice of two chokes (I like double triggers so I can so select instantly) but many prefer single triggers. Easier to clean, break down to shortest package for travel and aren't picky about ammo so long as you can stuff it into the chambers. And if you go with extractors (which holds down the cost as well) the empties can be easily picked off the chambers rather than having to hunt them up in the weeds. Also easier to carry with an open gun drapped over forearm or shoulder. They also come in two configurations, side by side and over/under and I like them both. Really decent used ones area available within the price of the semi autos you have referenced.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The semi out is more of a comfort thing. I grew up shooting one, and since my A5 is 2 3/4" only I like the idea that it will take a little bit of the recoil out of the 3" or 3 1/2" rounds. Really thought about a SS or an O/U but if I am going to have 1 go to gun I like the idea of 3-5 rds on call. I had not seen the rock island M5, but if I find one that will probably turn into my new HD gun. Thanks your the ideas and keep them coming. Seems almost unanimous for the 11-87 though. Are the stoegers a really that bad? Know 2 guys that shoot them. One shoots the 2000 the other the 3500. Both have recommended theirs, no reliability issues. But I know remington makes good guns so I found that one and kind of made me think.

Also what's the opinion of 3" vs 3 1/2" I've shot some 3" but never 3 1/2". Is it really necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I agree with Daly on the double gun, but most would be outside the budget limit. That said, I'd definitely go with the Rem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jumbo,

With respect to them being that bad: Based on other friends that have purchased the Stoegers in the past couple of years; it appears that several issues have been improved upon. Stoeger may now have improved them by a large degree since I traded the two bad guns. However, I'd not spend my money on another one based on my past experience and the fact that the basic design of the gun appears to have been unchanged. I'd research the newer models for dependability and function before I'd buy.

Concerning 3.5" shells. I strongly believe they are a waste of money for the "perceived" advantages they may offer. I've been a duck and goose hunting addict for the past 50 years and have never found a situation where they actually improved killing performance over what a quality 3" shell offered. If I were to buy another shotgun for duck hunting, I'd rather it not even be chambered for the 3.5". It makes for a heavier gun, longer cycling of the action, and more recoil. The only advantage I can see in having a 3.5" is if you were in need of shells and that was the only loading left on the shelf to purchase. At least you could shoot either. The last shotgun I purchased was a gift for my son. I had the option of buying a 3" chambered Benelli Vinci, or the 3.5". The 3" went home with me. If you have the option of handling and comparing the same gun in 3" vs. 3.5", I'd sure want to make the comparison. Just my honest opinion. Others are welcome to completely disagree.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Very nice Rem 1100 for sale today in the member forum listing if interested in a 20ga... right in your listed price ranges above too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I found a NIB (used never shot) mossberg 930 here locally. Price is $450. Any opinions on the mossy 930. Like don't know much about them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know a lot about them either. However, I've handled a couple of them that belonged to friends and they seemed well built. I've not shot them, nor taken them apart, but the reports I've gotten from those who owned them is very positive. The two that I handled had very smooth actions and very good triggers. We have a couple of Mossberg pump gun shooters in our duck club and those guns are over 20 years old and completely dependable. (But then again, they are pump guns).

I actually like the top mounted safety. I have an old Noble Model 66 16 gauge that I got when I was a kid, and also have a Browning BPS. Both are equipped with the top mounted safety and it's intuitive and handy for me to operate. The only negative is that the safety could be accidentally activated if sliding the gun into a case or scabbard. It's not that big a concern, and I've never had that happen, yet it's a potential possibility. That would be the only remote negative that I can see and it's sure not a show stopper. I recon my point would be to be observant and cautious as one should be anyway. I can still hear my dad frequently reminding me to check the safety.

I really think this gun is most likely a good option and a great value for the features it offers for the price. You say $450 huh? I just don't see a downside at that price. As long as the gun fits you well, comes to your shoulder properly, gives you a good sight picture with your head on the comb, they you have a probable winner. Frankly, fit and handling are far more important. It has to drive well to be shot well.

At least this gun is American made and not of Turkish origin (I'm still smarting after being burned twice on Turkish Stoegers).

Good luck in your decision making and I hope I've been remotely helpful.

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
While.I.have.never.been.a.fan.of.the.asthetiscs.of.the.mossbergs......I.have.owned.a.few......for.the.money..they.will.outlive.you!
And.are.a.very.reliable.gun..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, if the weather cooperates I will be picking up the mossy 930 this evening... Hopefully. I'll post some pics when I get her home.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The 930 is probably one if the best deals in new semi auto shotguns. All reports I've read on shotgunworld are positive, and theynseemmtombe a quality gun. For the field I think they're a might heavy, and they sure don't fit me at all, but they seem to be good guns.

Of the first three you listed, 1187 hands down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts