Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the history buffs. I found an old picture of my Dad with a nice buck and he was holding a Marlin lever action 35 rem. The stock is stright and the picture dates to late 50's to early 60's. I keep looking for one just like it but never find them with straight grip stock which this had. Unfortunately the gun was sold before I came along and he passed away many years ago.

Any help would be appreciated along with if you have one for sale let me know.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a .35 Remington 336 like you describe - straight stock, full magazine tube, mine has a doetail blank in place of the rear sight and has a Williams FP type adjustable aperture sight mounted using the provided side-mount holes. It is also drilled and tapped for scope mounting system. Micro-groove barrel, 20". Nice, if average wood, white spacer between the stock and plastic butt plate. The serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1958. Smooth action and nice shooter. I count myself lucky to have found it in the condition it was for the price I paid.

Keep an eye on used gun racks, and don't be turned away if they look ugly, look closer. Mine was so ugly, I passed it up twice before I haggled and bought it. As it turned out, the ugly part was caked on "gunk" (for lack of a better desciptor), and though I am still cleaning cracks and crevases, and I had to scrub the bolt to get the varnish off, every time I clean and apply a good brushing to certain chosen areas, this carbine looks better and better. There is no rust or pitting despite what I thought I would find.

Good luck in your search, they can be found!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you have a straight stock in another 336 it is easy to convert one to the other just changing a few parts and the stock. Take a look in the reference section for details. It may be easier than finding one.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..SS I know its not difficult to convert but sometimes finding the original is half the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys..SS I know its not difficult to convert but sometimes finding the original is half the fun. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys..SS I know its not difficult to convert but sometimes finding the original is half the fun. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts