Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
If memory serves, it was a misfire on the range and the action stuck, not ejecting the round. Only got through half of a new 20-round box of Winchester 30-30.
A misfire, as in failure to fire, indicates that the round failed to fully seat (to go fully into battery). As noted earlier (and you can confirm), that the firing pin has now been removed, which makes the actual round less likely to go off, as the primer is the high explosive section of the round, which lights the lower explosive powder.
The most likely explanation is something else has traveled with the bolt and jammed the action.
The most likely culprit is the extractor spring which lives on the back wall behind the bolt (a small section of spring steel).
Either carefully hold the rifle in a vice and, using a brass punch and hammer, tap the bolt backwards (and put some soft rags down, in case the bolt slips out), which should get things moving (the best option). You may need a firm tap, as the lever gave you mechanical advantage when originally loading the round.
Or (and this is much more risky) if that doesn't work, get a piece of wood dowel that is just under .3, and pokes about an inch out of the barrel when on top of the round, and whilst everything is still in the vice, give the dowel a good rap with a hammer (or a wood mallet if you have one, not a rubber mallet). You will probably ruin the round, but you do need to clear the obstruction. It is unlikely that the round will fire, without a firing pin, however, the first method is much safer, and should be your first option.
Always keep out of the line of the weapon, it is 'loaded'.
Always wear safety glasses, there is potential for a rapid escape of gas (a wall rupture, from firing, unchambered), although remote.

Cannot guarantee either will work, that either is totally safe, but those are the options I see.

·
Registered
523 Posts
...the wood used to make the junction pins for panels is sold in the form of rods about one meter long, of various diameters, is very hard and resistant and therefore suitable for this_

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Originally Posted by OLBIKER
So ,is the lever not attached?If so put it back on and remove cartridge.

this seems the most logical thing: did it work or not?
Thank you! It worked, though it took 3-4 hard yanks. Noticed a rough spot in the receiver where the bolt has a slight hiccup riding over. Will need to look at that. Will try to post a pic. Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help. I really appreciate your time and effort.

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
Noticed a rough spot in the receiver where the bolt has a slight hiccup riding over

Don't go doing something you're not qualified to do.....you could make your firearm very unsafe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you! It worked, though it took 3-4 hard yanks. Noticed a rough spot in the receiver where the bolt has a slight hiccup riding over. Will need to look at that. Will try to post a pic. Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help. I really appreciate your time and effort.
Great! I'm so happy this worked out in the end.

Wilecoyote, OlBiker: great idea you guys gave. Awesome!

·
Super Moderator
15,215 Posts
BTW, does this look right? Looks to me like screw missing and spring stuck in hole. Stuck toothpick down hole and it is only about 1/8 in. Deep.

That is the cross bolt safety lock down... It is supposed to have a steel ball, spring and setscrew in the hole... If it is gone you need a new one...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts