·
Super Moderator
26,635 Posts
Reactions: Gumball67

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Since he said he was slowly disassembling it and that it was a DB idea since he had no gunsmith near him I want to make the assumption that he has a round stuck in the chamber while he was shooting.

My question, were you at the range or was this round left in the chamber for a period of time exceeding a few days?

What kind of ammo is loaded in the chamber?

Are you in town or out in the country?

Are you making sure the barrel is pointing in a safe direction?

How far to a qualified blacksmith?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
At range. Disassembled 2 years ago. Found some good vids online recently about disassembly of the 336 and thought I would give it another try. Probably a gunsmith within 50 miles. This is flippin’ California and I’m told they all left. Winchester brand 30-30. Safe direction. Not a novice, but not a pro. No experience with this model.

·
Registered
19,857 Posts
No help here, but I'm sure the fellas here will help you get fixed up! Good luck!

Reactions: Gumball67

·
Registered
171 Posts
righto. You need to go back to the start, BEFORE this happened, and explain the series of events, that led to this. Also explain why you think parts are missing, or not functioning? Safety applied or not, the lever should still function, the bolt should still move to the rear.
Please explain how you are sure you chambered the correct round (e.g. pulled out of a factory box, marked 30-30, and looked same as others).
Please explain why you needed to unload a live round.
etc etc.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd try to feel if the bolt moves a little, if it does and stops then you probably have a mechanical interlock situation, may be very little movement between rim and extractor? if no movement then it sounds like a stuck case. A cleaning rod down the muzzle Keeping well clear will tell you if you have a round in the breach or a case, by the length it goes in, mark it and then put it along the barrel to see how far it goes toward the breach face.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
The Marlin 336 model has a two-piece firing pin.
It is only aligned and ready to fire when the lever is closed all the way and
the lock-lug is up.
Your pic shows this part is removed.
You can do this two ways-
run a cleaning rod down the muzzle,
OR-
take the rifle and put it in a vice, padded with leather,
and use a brass rod to tap the bolt out from underneath.
The lock lug notch is where you need to tap it.
What's got you is the extractor.
But there is no way i know of to relieve it with the bolt all the way
foreward.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally Posted by OLBIKER
So ,is the lever not attached?If so put it back on and remove cartridge.

I figured that’s what I may need to do. Will give that a try. Thx.
this seems the most logical thing: did it work or not?

·
Super Moderator
5,145 Posts
I agree with you Brian.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
righto. You need to go back to the start, BEFORE this happened, and explain the series of events, that led to this. Also explain why you think parts are missing, or not functioning? Safety applied or not, the lever should still function, the bolt should still move to the rear.
Please explain how you are sure you chambered the correct round (e.g. pulled out of a factory box, marked 30-30, and looked same as others).
Please explain why you needed to unload a live round.
etc etc.
If memory serves, it was a misfire on the range and the action stuck, not ejecting the round. Only got through half of a new 20-round box of Winchester 30-30.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'd try to feel if the bolt moves a little, if it does and stops then you probably have a mechanical interlock situation, may be very little movement between rim and extractor? if no movement then it sounds like a stuck case. A cleaning rod down the muzzle Keeping well clear will tell you if you have a round in the breach or a case, by the length it goes in, mark it and then put it along the barrel to see how far it goes toward the breach face.
There is zero bolt movement. And, there IS a live round stuck in there.

·
Registered
716 Posts
have you tried to put back in place loop lever & pivot screw, and withdraw the bolt with sufficient decision?
(sorry if I'm asking again...)

·
Registered
716 Posts
...spring stuck in hole...
fishing it w. angle-bent paper clip down this hole...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What part of California, anywhere close to Vandenberg AFB?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts