Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I slowly started disassembly of the rifle. (336SS) Dumb idea. Know little of guns or this model as it is new to me. So, this is where I am at. Only parts left attached are the barrel, the safety button, the bolt, and the live cartridge. Can’t pull bolt out to remove cartridge. No gunsmiths anywhere near me. Any ideas? BTW, I think the safety button screw and spring are missing but the button won’t slide out. Though, not sure that is even necessary to remove bolt. Please help if you can.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I suspect the locking bolt is engaged and not allowing the bolt to move rearward. You can Google "336 locking bolt" and see where it fits, but your best course of action is probably a gunsmith since you're unfamiliar with Marlin actions. Don't be discouraged though, they have relatively few parts and the simplicity of breaking them down is part of their appeal. Use caution and let us know how you're doing.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hopefully, dropping the locking lug will allow you to remove the bolt and the cartridge.

Is the round a factory cartridge or is it a reload?

Asking since a factory cartridge will be sized not to get stuck in the chamber. If it's a reload, the case itself may be stuck in the chamber, not having been correctly resized, or perhaps not resized at all if fired from another rifle.

If you remove the locking lug and either
a. the bolt is still stuck or
b. the bolt comes out but the cartridge is still stuck in the chamber

then it's time to find yourself a gunsmith regardless where you have to go.

Alternate plan. With the action completely assembled, if the bolt closes completely on the round in the chamber, you could shoot the round out of the gun (outside of course). Now you're not dealing with a potentially lethal situation.

If you can get the bolt open, and the case is still stuck, you can tap out the brass with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. The bolt must be open.
DON'T DO THIS IF THE CARTRIDGE IS STILL LIVE!!!

Be careful. Be safe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since he said he was slowly disassembling it and that it was a DB idea since he had no gunsmith near him I want to make the assumption that he has a round stuck in the chamber while he was shooting.

My question, were you at the range or was this round left in the chamber for a period of time exceeding a few days?

What kind of ammo is loaded in the chamber?

Are you in town or out in the country?

Are you making sure the barrel is pointing in a safe direction?

How far to a qualified blacksmith?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is not a good, Is it possible for an administrator here to try contacting Gumball67. Apparently the new member could be in a very dangerous situation and might need help. The advice I would give Gunball67 is stop right there and don’t go any further until a licensed gunsmith can look at it and make the situation safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A million unanswered questions which, evidently, may never be answered. Very scary situation indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully, dropping the locking lug will allow you to remove the bolt and the cartridge.

Is the round a factory cartridge or is it a reload?

Asking since a factory cartridge will be sized not to get stuck in the chamber. If it's a reload, the case itself may be stuck in the chamber, not having been correctly resized, or perhaps not resized at all if fired from another rifle.

If you remove the locking lug and either
a. the bolt is still stuck or
b. the bolt comes out but the cartridge is still stuck in the chamber

then it's time to find yourself a gunsmith regardless where you have to go.

Alternate plan. With the action completely assembled, if the bolt closes completely on the round in the chamber, you could shoot the round out of the gun (outside of course). Now you're not dealing with a potentially lethal situation.

If you can get the bolt open, and the case is still stuck, you can tap out the brass with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. The bolt must be open.
DON'T DO THIS IF THE CARTRIDGE IS STILL LIVE!!!

Be careful. Be safe.

Good advice. Thank you. I thought it would have been safe to push something up the barrel to push out cartridge... if I could get the flipping bolt out. Not a reload. It is a Winchester round.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts