Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this beautiful Marlin 93 a few weeks ago, and I'd like to restore it with an original buttplate. Any advice on what would be the proper buttplate for this rifle? It's a 30-30, and the serial number is below 300. The rifle had an ugly aftermarket rubber recoil pad when I bought it. I took the recoil pad off. By the shape of the buttstock I'm thinking it had one of the S-shaped steel buttplates like you see on early carbines, but I'm not sure. It looks like the buttstock was never cut, although the toe was trimmed a bit. Any advice on what would be the proper buttplate and where to find one would be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The butt would be curved like that plate, that stock used the hard rubber plate
I second that cj !! As far as I'm concerned that's a 'shotgun butt' which could be ordered by the customer buying, as an option. It would be a crime to alter the shape to accommodate an 'S' shaped steel buttplate. I sure like your illustrations of the hard rubber plates. I've never seen them before. Thanks.

Reactions: cj57

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate everybody's help with this! I think the first buttplate recommended by cj57 is the correct one. Now the search begins!

Thank you all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts