Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, joined to see if I can get any help identifying a gun I am picking up soon. It's an older 1895. After going back to the gun shop over the weekend to put my payment down I found a few things interesting about the gun that I can't find online. First is that it's not micro grooved and the serial number is B00000212. So after some research I think I might have found a 1972, but what I can't figure out is I have not seen anyone else who has 8 numbers in the serial number even if they are 1972 B0 guns. What is up with the serial number on this gun? Not. Sure if I found something cool and unusual? The gun is in like new condition.

The other odd thing is the stock is the old marlin straight grip Monte Carlo stock with a gold commemorative medalion that says 1970 on it. Stock looks like the ones on a 1970 marlin 444. Looks great but this gun was made after 1970 so I am confused. Can anyone give any insight on what I might have found? I emailed marlin to ask them and have heard nothing back yet. Sorry I don't have any pictures because I didn't pick the gun up yet. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Welcome to the M/O's forum Wkbroncobilly , the 8 number's on your gun is correct . All 1895's have the straight grip stocks . (Standard) Some with checkering , some with out . lot of the OLDER one's came without checkering . some of the 1895's have micro grooving , some have the deep Ballard grooving . Yours is a JM built rifle ... Meaning built" in the now defunked" Marlin Factory . Remington bought out the Marlin Co . a culpa years ago , and All Marlin rifles are made by Remington . The JM" built rifle's Bring a Lot more money these days , because of that . Yours has the JM stamp mark" on the left side of the barrel , On the barrel" , where it connects to the receiver .

My 1895 is a S/S 45/70 Guide Gun , which are made with the 18 inch barrel , and your should look about like mine whether it is S/S rifle or a blued rifle.... I'll post a picture of mine below so your can see how the newer JM rifles look .... Mine is a 96 made Model in the same factory your was built in .....

DSC04052.jpg The 45~70 It's the one in the center of the picture .
Magnum6

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Welcome to MO

Hey W,

Welcome to MO.

The "BO" would indicate that it is a 1972 model, 1895.

Similar to this one, purchased new in '75.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The 1895 I am getting appears to be a true 1972 and similar to your pics of the older gun, but I am still puzzled as to why it has a monte carlo straight grip stock with a commeorative coin looking thing that states 1870-1970 and has a marlin recoil pad. I have seen no other 1895's from 1972 with this stock, just some 444's. If the gun was made in 1972, I don't know why it would have a 1970 commemorative coin decal thing in the stock. It looks good on the gun, really like the stock, but I wonder if someone added it after the face, or if it came from marlin like that? Kind of odd.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
A previous owner wanting a better cheek weld probably swapped it out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an even earlier gun than yours and can concur with other posters that the very first "new" 1895's had 8 digit numbers. The highest one I've seen so far was in the B0000042x range. Not long after that Marlin switched to just 6 digits before ultimately settling on their convention of subtracting the first two digits of the S/N from 2000 to get the year of manufacture. Although the "B" prefix numbers were supposed to go up to about B030000 the highest one I've seen is just below B012000. Not sure what year they switched away from the "B" prefix, but certainly by 1975.

That stock on your rifle must have been replaced. Marlin used to stamp all or part of the serial number into the buttstock under the tang or in the front face of the stock where it mates to the receiver. I just popped mine off and there was no number so it seems they stopped doing that by 1972. So if you do find a number on that Monte Carlo stock it most likely will not match the gun. This fact should have a fairly meaningful impact on the value. Those very early 1895 stocks with the curved buttplate are pretty scarce. Many of them were cut down to fit a recoil pad.

It's still a very desirable rifle just not all original. Good luck and have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

1 - 7 of 7 Posts