Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Sig,

Welcome to MO.

Way to go, pic of Granddad's "pump" .22, on first post!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Look up horselady she would probably be able to tell you.
She has had a few of the old marlin pumps for sale so I would be betting she would if anyone.

Reactions: Horselady

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners. It is probably a Model 37. You can find out for sure by removing the tang sight. The model number is under there. The 37 was made from 1923- 34.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Possibly a model 37?
Model would be under tang sight.
Welcome to Marlin Owners!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Schtoolee
Great minds think alike!
You must have hit the submit button a second before me!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Both of you gentlemen are correct, I removed the tang and it is a Model 37. Now to figure out the date of manufacture. My dad was born in 1917 so 1923 sounds right.

Mr. 95 Lever, your sigline is heard far too often these days. What has happened to our young men?

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
welcome from Texas

great lookin' rifle

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice model 37, I just acquired one also. It was one of dad's but not since new like yours.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey, no I don't have one of these. Not old enough for my Dad, I guess. It looks like my 20-As and 29 and seems it was based on them. According the the "Brophy" book, serial numbers reported for the 37 start at #490 and go to #12,455. Since yours is 12463 it was never recorded, quite common back in those days. The 37 was made during 1923-1931, so your serial number is on the 1931 side. But I would go by what your Dad said as Marlin was known for not making rifles in sequence as serial numbers were not that important back then. What ever got picked up from the line was the order.
But it is an amazing gun for its age and glad you will keep it for your daughter. Remember always shoot standard velocity ammo in these old guns as the high velocity will damage it. Every one of my old rifles are very accurate and I am sure yours is too. Love them. Price of your rifle way back then started at $21.75 retail in 1923 to $22.00 in 1932.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey, no I don't have one of these. Not old enough for my Dad, I guess. It looks like my 20-As and 29 and seems it was based on them. According the the "Brophy" book, serial numbers reported for the 37 start at #490 and go to #12,455. Since yours is 12463 it was never recorded, quite common back in those days. The 37 was made during 1923-1931, so your serial number is on the 1931 side. But I would go by what your Dad said as Marlin was known for not making rifles in sequence as serial numbers were not that important back then. What ever got picked up from the line was the order.
But it is an amazing gun for its age and glad you will keep it for your daughter. Remember always shoot standard velocity ammo in these old guns as the high velocity will damage it. Every one of my old rifles are very accurate and I am sure yours is too. Love them. Price of your rifle way back then started at $21.75 retail in 1923 to $22.00 in 1932.
Thanks to everyone for their help. My grandfather owned a hardware store in upstate NY so I don't know what wholesale could have been on the rifle.

Since my dad was born in 1917 and my grandfather wanted to give me a .22 at age six like my dad, but my mother made me settle for a BB gun, age six sounds right.

·
Super Moderator
13,983 Posts
Wow what fantastic guns you have there. Those are very special for sure. After three post you are becoming my favorite poster and there are some great ones on here.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Both of you gentlemen are correct, I removed the tang and it is a Model 37. Now to figure out the date of manufacture. My dad was born in 1917 so 1923 sounds right.

Mr. 95 Lever, your sigline is heard far too often these days. What has happened to our young men?
What has happened? The liberal media and anti gun politicians are systematically painting guns in a bad light brainwashing a whole generation into thinking guns are something inherently evil and dangerous that normal ppl have no business using.

Awesome 22 btw.

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Nice lookin' shooters y'a got there Sir!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.