Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new to me 1978 model 1894 in 44 mag apart for a good cleaning and replacement of some parts to fix jamming issues. Everything came apart easy and is going back together easy(except the new carrier that doesn't fit) expect I can't get the magazine tube to seat all the way into the reciever to get it far enough in to the reciever to replace the front band screw. Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I took my new to me 1978 model 1894 in 44 mag apart for a good cleaning and replacement of some parts to fix jamming issues. Everything came apart easy and is going back together easy(except the new carrier that doesn't fit) expect I can't get the magazine tube to seat all the way into the reciever to get it far enough in to the reciever to replace the front band screw. Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks
A couple of things to try and see. Are there any burrs on the receiver or tube end that would make it tough to insert? I've had to chamfer more than one with a stone. The tube is a fairly loose fit, it's NOT pressed in place or screwed in. Take the forearm off and see how the fit is, the tube end might have gotten squished a bit in handling. They're just mild steel and easy to ding. Check the tube itself for bumps or bends. You aren't trying to put the tube in with the magazine spring installed, are you? And make sure the follower goes in BEFORE you put in the band screw, DAMHIKT. A coat of wax inside the tube always helps things feed. Do the drop test with the follower and the tube off the gun, the follower should drop through with no bobbles or hitches.

Stan S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I did finally get it in. The tube seems bent and it is at the gunsmiths getting checked out better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts