Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a plug screw in top of the reciever I can't get out. I've had it soaking with a drop of penetrating oil on it for day's now and still can't get it budge. Anyone have any tricks that might help.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
ya might try a heat gun

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Make sure you have a good screwdriver that fits the screw head exactly. You'll be using more force than usual and don't want to bugger the receiver or the screw head.

Heat it carefully with a blow drier or very gently with a torch.

First though, have you tried lining up the screwdriver and giving it a few taps with a hammer?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Put tape over the receiver with an access hole over the screw. If you slip....... It may lessen damage. Do you have a clean slot on the screw? Put the gun in a padded vise if available. Tap as suggested.

Papalote

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Also tap while trying to turn the screw. That will sometimes break them loose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hot-cold-hot-cold- penetrating oil, if you have a lathe fix the gu and a fitting scewdriver blade. Put pressure on the blade so it can't jump out and turn by hand.

·
Registered
450 Posts
As a toolmaker I sometimes take a punch that has a point on it and set it up against the slot ( or what ever is left ) far to the outer diameter and at a 45 degree angle. Tap the punch in the direction ( counter clock wise ) to loosen the screw. I have had pretty good luck with this in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts