Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally saw my first hog and missed. My 1895G was sighted in @100 yards hitting 1" low using 405gr HC. In the excitement of the moment all I could remember was to not give the target away and so I had the Leupold fire dot at about center mass. It was a 135 yard shot. I have no idea how much those xtra 35 yards would drop the bullet? Please school this newbie Hawg hunter on shooting from up high. Thx. PS: next time he is mine ;-)

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! Regarding the scope: it is a Leupold 1.25x4 Hog Plex with the red fire dot. The load is 36.5 gr IMR 4198 which should be about 1500 FPS. When I sighted in the scope I expected most shots to be in the 30-75 yard range but longest at 100. Being the newbie hunter I'm working at distance assessment.

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The angle from 18 feet off the ground 135 yards away is far less than 1 degree... you could not have taken that into account from a tree stand even if you wanted to.

You didn't supply enough info about your load so I'll make some assumptions - .45-70 bullet, 405 gr boolit, 1500 fps muzzle speed, scope-sighted to hit 1" low at 100 yards. If this is the case, then you hit nearly 6" lower than your aim point at 135 yards, enough to cleanly miss a hog with a center of mass hold.

A suggestion: Sight that gun to hit 2" high at 100 yards. You'll be about 3" high at 70 yards to about 3" low at 140 yards. This means you can just point and shoot at anything within 140 yards... and the next thing you can worry about lighting the smoker.
I appreciate the suggestion. Your load suggestion is spot on!

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the challenge is finding the sweet spot when sighting in. I heeded the advice of other members when I sighted my rifle and this load to be 2" high at 50 which resulted in 1" low at 100. I was not expecting any shots much above 100 at that time. Sounding more like a range finder is important. Anyone using one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.