Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally saw my first hog and missed. My 1895G was sighted in @100 yards hitting 1" low using 405gr HC. In the excitement of the moment all I could remember was to not give the target away and so I had the Leupold fire dot at about center mass. It was a 135 yard shot. I have no idea how much those xtra 35 yards would drop the bullet? Please school this newbie Hawg hunter on shooting from up high. Thx. PS: next time he is mine ;-)

·
Registered
464 Posts
i'm not an expert on that matter, but you should, at least hit the lower part of the pig!! and a low shot on the chest should at least make the pig screech!! may not be mortal, but would sure make it feel it hot!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
The story goes that you are supposed to aim a little low when shooting both uphill and downhill. I don't think the bullet would have dropped enough to make you miss. You probably just saw the hog, got happy, and slapped the trigger....happens to the best of us! :D

EDIT....Well I take that back. After playing with a ballistic program, if you are hitting an inch low at 100, you could be more than four inches low at 125 and NINE inches at 150....which amazed me....I am not too familiar with them pumpkin heavers that some of you guys like! :D Only way to know for sure is set up a target and shoot it. That much of a drop combined with excitement sure could cause a miss.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You aim a bit lower than what your sight distance would indicate, whether shooting uphill or downhill, because bullet drop is related to the horizontal distance traveled, regardless of the angle. Over 135 yd, the angle from an 18 foot high blind is so slight as to be immaterial. Until you get to some actual mountain hunting with steep slopes and long ranges, it can safely be ignored.

The old admonition to "aim low shooting uphill and aim high shooting downhill" has some practical merit: animals are 3-dimensional, and a hunter who aims at a spot on the outside of the animal (instead of the correct method of picturing where the vitals are from that angle) is more likely to put his bullet through the core of the critter, instead of making a non-fatal or slowly fatal tangential hit.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Agree with pig bat. Gravity is the same at 18 feet or ground zero.

Also, in my opinion, you would be wise to adopt a new optic if 135 yards will be your norm. An RDS far from ideal. Again, just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The angle from 18 feet off the ground 135 yards away is far less than 1 degree... you could not have taken that into account from a tree stand even if you wanted to.

You didn't supply enough info about your load so I'll make some assumptions - .45-70 bullet, 405 gr boolit, 1500 fps muzzle speed, scope-sighted to hit 1" low at 100 yards. If this is the case, then you hit nearly 6" lower than your aim point at 135 yards, enough to cleanly miss a hog with a center of mass hold.

A suggestion: Sight that gun to hit 2" high at 100 yards. You'll be about 3" high at 70 yards to about 3" low at 140 yards. This means you can just point and shoot at anything within 140 yards... and the next thing you can worry about lighting the smoker.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Go buy a .204 Ruger and fergit the bullet drop :biggrin:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! Regarding the scope: it is a Leupold 1.25x4 Hog Plex with the red fire dot. The load is 36.5 gr IMR 4198 which should be about 1500 FPS. When I sighted in the scope I expected most shots to be in the 30-75 yard range but longest at 100. Being the newbie hunter I'm working at distance assessment.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The angle from 18 feet off the ground 135 yards away is far less than 1 degree... you could not have taken that into account from a tree stand even if you wanted to.

You didn't supply enough info about your load so I'll make some assumptions - .45-70 bullet, 405 gr boolit, 1500 fps muzzle speed, scope-sighted to hit 1" low at 100 yards. If this is the case, then you hit nearly 6" lower than your aim point at 135 yards, enough to cleanly miss a hog with a center of mass hold.

A suggestion: Sight that gun to hit 2" high at 100 yards. You'll be about 3" high at 70 yards to about 3" low at 140 yards. This means you can just point and shoot at anything within 140 yards... and the next thing you can worry about lighting the smoker.
I appreciate the suggestion. Your load suggestion is spot on!

·
Registered
811 Posts
RJY66 gave you the best advice, "Shoot the gun and load at that distance and see what the drop is." Computer programs and charts are good, but nothing beats knowledge. The only way to know is to shoot and see. If you don't know, then you are guessing.
Personally I won't shoot at anything living further than I have punched paper. Kinds limits what I shoot at, but that's me. Passed up the biggest deer I have ever seen cause it was further than I had shot the rifle.
CF

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion. Your load suggestion is spot on!
always sight in high at 100 yards. I have mine 3 inches at 100 yards this puts me on at 150' it is a 444 marlin with micro grove rifling. also I have never trusted them new red dot or battery opt. optics get yourself a regular 1-4 variable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*******: the scope is a Leupold VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20mm with the (red) Fire Dot Pig Plex. Sorry for referring to it as a red dot.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Only true way to know is at the range with your rifle. I don't take any rifle hunting until it's proven at the known distances of where I'm going hunting. Ballistic charts are a reference IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the challenge is finding the sweet spot when sighting in. I heeded the advice of other members when I sighted my rifle and this load to be 2" high at 50 which resulted in 1" low at 100. I was not expecting any shots much above 100 at that time. Sounding more like a range finder is important. Anyone using one?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I use a range finder to get known distances but have found that in open areas my mapsruler app is spot on. It uses google maps. I've checked it against my range finder and it's dead on. I then screen shot the map and edit the photo putting distances on it for future reference.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Sounds like the challenge is finding the sweet spot when sighting in. I heeded the advice of other members when I sighted my rifle and this load to be 2" high at 50 which resulted in 1" low at 100. I was not expecting any shots much above 100 at that time. Sounding more like a range finder is important. Anyone using one?
I actually like your existing sight-in. Out to 100 yards and a bit beyond, your bullet is within an inch or two of your line of sight. That's well worthwhile! A little practice at those 130 - 150 yard ranges and you'll be fine. At the outer end of what you consider the useful range, you may be holding right on the back of the hog or deer. That works great! I don't like aiming at open air over the animal, but have often held right on the line of his back, or the top of the shoulders, and dropped the bullet right into the heart/lung area.

Yes I use a rangefinder often. Some years back I had an overtime check burning a hole in my pocket, and brought home a really nice Swarovski Laser Guide. Oh my goodness! What a great piece of gear. The glass is so good, I often leave my binos home, and just carry the Swaro and my hunting rifle.

If I'm sitting in one place for a while, I'll use the laser to range different objects. "Let's see, it's 125 yards to that big ponderosa pine to my left, the rock formation at the far edge of the meadow is 330 yards and to my right is a fallen log at 212 yards." Then, if game comes into view, I've already got a good idea the distance I'll need to shoot. Or I can get a laser read right off the animal in many instances, but usually if it's a decent buck, I'm busy working on making the shot by then. I do tend to hunt in pretty open country or mixed brushy/open country.

Know your rifle. Know your hunting area. Know your game. You'll get him next time.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Different range and different rifle, but perhaps of some use to you?

Last summer my son was at the rifle range with me, using the good old Model of 1917 .30-06 and a 6x Leupold. We handloaded his 165 grain Nosler Partition hunting ammo to a mild 2750 fps. Sighted it in dead - on at 200 yards. It's a couple of inches high at 100 and a few inches low at 300 yds.

Our bear hunting here in Washington is spot & stalk, no hounds, no baiting. We saw this chocolate boar at well over a quarter mile, he was moving away from us. Moved hard to close the distance, then he paused near some apple trees at a long abandoned homestead. I got on the rangefinder, the bear was at 320 yards. My son got on the rifle, squeezed the shot and thumped that bear hard.

We knew the range. We'd practiced at about the same range (usually use 8" or 9" paper plates for our practice targets, if we can hit them, we can hit bear or deer in the kill zone). I also have a similar sized chunk of armor plate we can hang and shoot.

He knew his rifle's trajectory. I glanced at him just before the shot and he was in exactly the same sitting position, on the tall bipod, as he had been while practicing at the range only a week before the hunt. It all worked perfectly. You could do the same thing, practicing with targets set up at 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150 yards. I'll do that sometimes, giving myself only one shot at each range... It's fun and challenging and a good test to see if I've got my act together for hunting.

Regards, Guy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts