Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two different types of ammo for my 1894 357 mag to hunt deer. I bought one box of Federal 180gr JHP and one box of 180 gr Partition Gold JHP. I hear the Partition Gold is very good ammo. I've been reading that a JHP is NO good in a Rifle. It expands to quick and does not penetrate. So is the ammo I have now personnal protection ammo? Do I need to buy JSP?? What's the best deer ammo for this gun? Any help would be great :lol:

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Partition Gold bullet should be pretty tough and the better of the two bullets as far as weight retention goes. Shooting JHP ammo out of a rifle is not a problem as long as the bullet is well constructed. The Partition Gold, Hornady XTP's, and others are well made hollowpoints which will work on game out of a rifle. I have not shot a deer with a 357 rifle but there are many on this forum who have and will certainly vouch for "good" bullets to use.

The heavier hollow points are the ones to use, 158's and 180's. Even if part of the bullet fragments, usually at the mushroom, there will still be enough weight and mass of what's left to continue on into and through the vitals to be effective.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Any 180g bullet will kill deer pretty good at reasonable ranges. I personally don't care for them, but they will work.

If you want the best that rifle can give you on deer sized animals, go with a good stout 158g SP load. I use the Remington 158g SP's at around 1700-1800 fps, and their performance is outstanding on deer up to 100 yards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts