Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one about 20 years ago and absolutely loved it but ended up selling it to help finance another firearm.Thinking about maybe buying another as when I was at Gander Mountain today they have a sale and have the Browning Buckmark Micro Bull Barrel in stainless for 349.00.My question is how good do they shoot bulk ammo as I have 2 bricks of the Federal blue box and one brick of CCI.For anyone who shoots one how does the bulk ammo shoot in your Buckmark.When I had mine I had the hunter model with a Leupold reddot sight and shot only the premium CCI ammo when it was easy to find and was a tack driver for sure that I squirrel hunted with.Never had even a single jam but dont want to buy one if it wont shoot bulk ammo as I have so much of it would be a waste of my money.Always liked the Buckmark but the way availability of 22 rimfire is today just want to make right choice.I know every gun is different but would like feedback good or bad!Thanks a lot. Mike :)

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
I own three. Only shot two of them and neither of them are ammo picky. Triggers are great, easy to take down and fun to shoot. Get one. Oh and I have the first, second and third generation Buck Mark's. ~James

Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I've had this Buckmark Silhouette since they were first introduced. This pistol is capable of smaller groups than many of my .22 Rimfire rifles and handles all brands and styles of .22 ammo. It thrives on standard velocity target fodder, but shoots many of the high velocity offerings into tiny groups as well.

A couple years ago I decided to get the son of a close friend his first handgun as a graduation present. After checking out most of the .22 auto-loaders on the market, the Buckmark quickly rose to the top of the many choices available, primarily because of it's superb trigger right from the box, partly because of it's ease of disassembly for cleaning, mostly because I knew what to expect from an accuracy standpoint.

I gave this pistol a thorough testing and break in before the presentation to make sure he would have no issues, and was not terribly surprised to find I could repeatedly get sub one inch groups at 25 yards with the ammo it preferred. The fine trigger no doubt helped considerably. Also no surprise, was the fact it fed and functioned perfectly with a wide variety of standard and high velocity ammo I used during the evaluation.

Speaking of the Buckmark trigger...as good as it is, it can be made even better by a simple little trick often called the "Heggis flip"...search for details on Rimfire Central.

Roe

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I've had one for about 8 years. It gets shot often because it's my wife's preferred handgun when she tags along. I don't know of a brand of ammo that I haven't shoved down it's throat in that time and it has never complained.

Reactions: vaslugger

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I haven't shot the micro bull barrel but I do have a Bulls eye target model
and that's a full length bull barrel and it's super accurate.
Probably as much as some of my 22 Rifles.
Here is a pic I grabbed off the internet that's pretty close to mine.
This isn't a great pic but I have this model and others.
You can't go wrong with a Buckmark unless you want to
take it apart. :flute:

It has shot every 22LR I have put in it and no FTF or FTE.
I also use it to shoot CB's but those I cycle manually.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Air gun

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
@Barenjager
Great looking Silhouette pistol you have there!
Nice ammo too, pricey but best for competition.
Did it come with the ramped front and rear sights?

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Had a Buckmark Bullseye for years and had it set up with a Leupold scope as my "squirrel thumper" while in a deer stand. It worked great for that. My wife favored my Ruger MKII only because it wasn't scoped. As we take the Ruger every single time we go plinking, I eventually let the Browning go in favor of a Single Six Convertible. I would own a Browning again in a heartbeat. It would shoot anything I fed it and it never even hickup'ed on me. Sounds like a pretty good price to me!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
@Barenjager
Great looking Silhouette pistol you have there!
Nice ammo too, pricey but best for competition.
Did it come with the ramped front and rear sights?
Ramped sights? It came with the setup you see in the picture...a fully adjustable rear sight and a rectangular post front that can be rotated to change it's width, both covered with sunshades. It's inherent accuracy begged I scope it, and I often shot it with a 4x Leupold attached.

As to the ammo, the Eley made good props for the photo, but this Buckmark excelled with the Federal Match Rifle ammo, sadly no longer available. That's not so bad since I bought a case years ago and have a fair amount left. With that ammo, it would put 5 shots into one tiny hole only slightly larger than caliber at 25 yards, and no bigger than .35" at 50, scoped, from a rest. Quite the shooter and the only reason I still have it.

Roe

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

I have this one above . It will eat anything I feed it & shoot anything accurate enough for my applications (mostly tin can control) .Its also a snap to field strip .

Al

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
@Barenjager

Yes hooded sights, not ramped. Duh! I think the meds I am on are
messing with me. Green Yellow Text Font Emoticon

Looks a treat to shoot with a scope, too bad they are no longer made.

I also have a Buckmark similar to a Camper in stainless,
it's just a bit different older model. It eats any 22LR I put in it also.
My only regret about the Buckmarks is not having enough time to
shoot them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I hate to be the first to post a negative experience with the buckmark. I bought one a few years ago. It did pretty well at first. Fed cci mini mags perfect and had a few bobbles with bulk stuff. Had a few minor issues, mag catch problems, cracked top strap. I was able to fix those problems but the reliability took a turn for the worst.

It got so bad that I was getting 3-4 stoppages per mag of 10. I liked the feel of the pistol and the trigger was very nice. I sold it very cheap to a buddy who wanted to tinker with it and try to get it working. I had already replaced the extractor with no improvement.

He sent it back to browning to "fixed" it. He still had issues with all ammo types. He also ended up trading it off. I bought a mark 3 after and have been very happy with its performance. I really wanted the pistol to work. But I have never been more frustrated with a firearm lol.

Don't let my experience sway your opinion. As said above most of them are perfect. I guess I just got unlucky with the stinker I got haha. Ever manufacturer can have issues. I shot a buddies buckmark that worked perfectly. I think mine might have been cursed haha. Good luck with your hunt for a buckmark :tee:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback guys as that answers my question on all ammo you shot running thru reliably.I might just go to Gander Mountain again and look at all of the models in stainless as most all of the prices were not that bad.The micro Bull barrel has a 4 inch barrel where the others mostly have five inch barrels which matters not to me as the Bull model micro had a great feel to it and the 5 reviews on it said it was a tack driver.The one I had before was so accurate but I remember I sold it to help buy a Marlin Guide gun so I won either way!Was looking at the Ruger Single Ten but was hard to find jn my area and then thought how much fun the Browning would be for me and my young teenage boy to shoot.Also like the fact I can buy fiber optic sights for it or also a base mount for a red dot scope.All about having fun and shooting cheaply as I can as it looks like ammo is coming back slowly.Thanks again guys! Mike

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought this one new in '89 for $250. This little guy eats anything I have ever fed it, and other than regular cleanings, never had to any repairs. I keep feeding it, it keeps popping along. Even with my left handed grips, my right handed son doesn't want to give it up when we go shoot. I have to play the "dad" card to get my turn with it. Great little guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If I wanted to buy the most accurate gun regardless of anything.
I'd buy a Hi Standard Victor 10X.
They can be had but go for like $1,500+
Great for bulls eye competitors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.