Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BO 1895 serial #144. I broke the original curved buttplate shooting it in a lead sled. I have ordered 4 reproductions but none are wide enough. Im pretty sick over it, it is a beautiful first year production model with very nice wood.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm willing to go the custom metal route if anyone has gunsmith that can do that. Marlin was no help.

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
I broke the stock toe and buttplate off when I dropped the identical rifle only a few newer than yours. I glued the wood back on and then fitted the broken buttplate and attached it invisibly with epoxy and a pin into the stock. This might work if the buttplate is not too damaged. The disadvantage with epoxy is that it is permanent. I had thought about fitting a new black rubber pad but didn't find one handy that was close to fitting. I like this deer rifle so much I would consider using it broken--almost.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from dismal valley. There was a post on this site about a pad for the curved stock on an 1895 to cut down on recoil. If you search the old posts you should be able to find it. It is not a screw on butt plate but lace on one. It would work until you find a replacement butt plate. The trouble with a used butt plate is they were sanded to fit the original stock it came with so the odds of finding one that would fit your rifle are probably slim and none. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well if you are handy Tennessee Valley Mfg sell them and since brass not too bad to fit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hell, I've got one you can have.

It's still attached to about an inch of stock from an 1895 from 1975. I cut my stock to put on a Pachmayr recoil pad. I also buggered up my new purchase, so I feel your pain. Just about made me puke when it happened, but with a refinish job, it's as good, if not better, than new.

I checked at the Post Office, and a box and shipping will cost me about nine dollars. Send me a check for that amount, and we're good to go. I suppose I could try to hold you up for more, but I need all the good karma I can get. Send me a PM if interested.

Reactions: M1Riflenut
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.