Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to both the forum and levers. I've hunted all of my life, have quite a few bolt rifles, reload and have built a rifle or two so not quite a newbie, but to marlin levers I am. Picked up a 1970 336 in 35 Rem (RC configuration). Super clean and not shot much. Couldn't find ammo until just recently so I didn't mess with it much. Here comes the issue:

I was deciding whether to put a scope on it or shoot it open sighted for now. It has the stamped buckhorn rear and hooded bead front sight now. It came with talley lightweight lows, so putting a scope on it (have a 1.5-5x32) would call for removing the rear sight (which does not fold) so the objective will clear or pick up
A straight tube 20mm scope instead. Though about it for a sec and decided to pull the talleys off and shoot it open sighted first. After doing that I noticed the issue. The magazine tube seems to lean hard to the left side of the barrel and hard against the forarm which can't be good for accuracy, can it?

I did a bit of reading on it and wound up pulling the screw from the front barrel band and found that the magazine tube rotates back to where it should be, directly in line and underneath the barrel. Didn't notice anything else unusual other than the tube is pretty tight to the underneath of the front of the barrel. When I put the barrel band screw back in and started tightening it, the mag tube wanted to go right back to the left side of the barrel and would not stay put in line with the barrel. Pulled the band screw again and looked at it a bit closer. To me it looks like its bent a bit which may be causing the lean to the left. Either that or the mag tube may be bent or the barrel band uneven. To look at it, nothing seems to have any wear or obvious damage but I'm not wasting the little bit of ammo I have if the barrel is being leaned on by the mag tube and the mag tube is leaning hard on the for end. The last thing I thought of is maybe someone put the barrel band on upside down (if that is possible) but I won't be able to check that without removing the front sight and seeing if I can flip it around. I'm not sure if the tube and barrel are even the same diameter and you could switch the band around. Unfortunately my reloading stuff, including my micrometer is at my dads and unavailable for the next week.

So any suggestions from you guys as to what the issue is and how to fix it?? I'm trying to keep from tearing the rifle apart if necessary so any suggestions would be much appreciated. I even checked out replacement parts (mag tube,front barrel band, band screw) from both numerich and brownells. Numerich has the band and tube but no one seems to have the old style band screw in stock. Even would consider sending the rifle to a good gunsmith familiar with working in marlins if necessary and someone can recommend someone if needed. There are no gunsmiths in south florida that I would trust and I really want to keep this rifle in original condition with original parts if possible.

Sorry for the novel and any suggestions from the pros would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Welcome Capt. I just checked my '80 model 336 and the magazine tube is about .005" smaller than the barrel, but just thought about it, it is a 30-30. Don't know whether they have the same O.D. Don't know whether the barrel band would be reversible but it would be close. I don't have that much experience with taking them down but it definitely sounds like something is bent.

Mop

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
First question is how did it shoot?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to Marlinowners!!
I know you said you're reluctant to tear it down, but that's exactly what I would do. There's 43 years of crud in there. It's not hard to do either.
I would make sure to use gunsmithing screwdrivers and go slow and be thorough in your cleaning. There's a sticky thread in the gunsmithing section on how the breakdown and reassemble a 336.
For the mag tube problem it might just be corrosion under the band making it seat back in the same place, or a bent screw.
Good luck.

Mick

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sounds like you have a bent front barrel band examin it well. You can find a new one on ebay or numrich, brownells,. If you have the skill you can work on the original to make it line up when you tighten the screw. I bet the rifle has ben droped at some time and bowed the band to the side you say it holds the mag tube when tightened. You have a great rifle for woods hunting, in a great drop em where they stand round. Dont let a little buggered up front band turn you against the rifle. The more you shoot it the more you will love it.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Capt Craig,

Welcome to Marlin Owners, and Congratsulations on finding a good 336/35.............

Re: your issue...........

I'm going to assume the sights on your rifle are correctly mounted and sitting at 12 O'clock, and the band screw is the original factory screw....it should be, because the thread pitch is a special gun screw pitch...............

There is a clearance cut under the barrel to clear the front band screw. I suspect that cut is not fully clearing the band screw, so when you replace and tighten the screw, it forces the whole affair back to the left............

Simple solution is to file the right side of the cut with a small round file to add clearance for the screw.........You will probably need to remove the front sight to expose the clearance groove, so be careful in doing so..........

Re: mounting the band upside down............thats not really easy to do if the band is dimensionaly correct, without forcing things and expanding the band.

I woud suggest you NOT tight the band screw, too................Snug it up using some Loc-tite # 222 or some clear fingernail polish as a locking agent.

I hope this info helps you in solving your issues............

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input and welcomes, very much appreciated. For those who asked, I have not shot the rifle yet. Bought it a couple of months ago but there was absolutely no ammo to be found for it anywhere. Last weekend I finally found three boxes of remington core lokt 200s and two boxes of horn leverevolution200s which I've been told is pretty much the gold standard of factory ammo for the 35rem. Because ammo is so scarce I didn't want to shoot it until I adressed the mag tube issue. I've shot a lot of rifles and haven't found one that would shoot worth a damn if something was leaning on the barrel (stock, bound magazine,etc) so I thought I would straighten it out first, then shoot.

What I can say for sure is that the band screw is definitely bent, and I'm going to tear it down tomorrow to see if it's the band, the magazine tube, or all three which have the issue. This rifle is the cleanest marlin I've ever seen, especially given its age, and you can eat off the inside of the action, barrel, etc. my feeling is that it either took a bit during shipment to me, or had a fall sometime between 1970 and now which the guy I bought it from didn't notice. I believe if it had issues he would have told me about them as the rest of his description of the rifle was meticulous. I don't see any obvious damage to the shipping box or the rifle, but it wouldn't be the first time a rifle got dinged in shipment. Either way I think I can sort it out. I have a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers and watched a few disassembly videos to get familiar with taking it apart. Guess I'll tear it down, see what the issue really is and get parts as needed. Wish someone had the band screw in stock as that will definitely need to be replaced. I was also told that a replacement band from numerich may be matte blued instead of matching blued to what the rifle had now. I was also told to expect that the replacement mag tube finish may not exactly match either. As this is a very nice rifle for a 70, I want to keep as much of it as original as possible so we'll see what comes of it. I can get the other parts right now, I just need to find an old style band screw or just put this project on the back burner until someone gets them in stock. If anyone has any leads on a band screw and/or a band please let me know. I already saw someone else put an ad in the classifieds looking for one as well. Guess in not the only one.

Now if My dad and I can just get pulled for a Maine moose permit this year, I may be able to either use this marlin or find a nice 45-70 to take along on that hunt. I really want to take one with an open sighted lever...really. Guess the addiction is already starting

Thanks again for the help and I'll let y'all know what I find after the tear down.

Craig

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ahoy Capt Craig. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Sounds like you're on the right track, the bent screw will act like a cam and move things around when tightened.
Whether it was bent from a drop or an incorrectly cut barrel relief is the question. Tomray's solution will help regardless of the cause and the screw can be
straightened if the threads are not damaged or distorted. I hope you get it sorted out soon and best of luck on the moose draw.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Nothing I can add to the above on issues, except congrats on that .35 rem, probably my favorite lever to use. Mine happens to love that Hornady too, and although my older model feeds/loads it fine, for a heads up some people have had to replace the magazine follower with the newer "dimpled" type with the LE ammo to avoid a jam issue on the older rifles. Anyway, you may want to cycle some through the rifle just to see how she feeds etc., that way if tearing it down and/or replacing any parts for your other issue, you can do the follower at the same time IF needed. Good luck and shooting to you...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.