Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would appreciate advice. Used 1895 arrived today at my FFL. In addition to having an easily replaced broken stock, I saw two things that suggest the rifle may have more serious issues:

1. Opening the bolt and looking at where the cartridge is chambered, the right side inside is narrow, sharp, and jagged.
2. The firing pin isn't positioned in the center of its hole. Instead, it seems to be resting under slight tension on the bottom of the hole in which is sits. The hammer will strike it sending the pin forwards, but there's clearly metal-on-metal resistance by the pin in its hole. Worried it could be bent.

Not sure whether these are showstoppers and would appreciate advice. Are the above observations normal? The rifle was made in 2005. Rest of the rifle looks fine and internals seems to be in good condition.

I've added pictures below (please see post #4).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure if you're handy with working on your own rifles, but if you are the issues probably aren't showstoppers as you say. Myself, I wouldn't pay a lot for it in order to protect myself in the purchase. It really may just come down to how much you pay for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you're handy with working on your own rifles, but if you are the issues probably aren't showstoppers as you say. Myself, I wouldn't pay a lot for it in order to protect myself in the purchase. It really may just come down to how much you pay for it.
I have the equipment to break down all of my guns, service them, and polish out internals. YouTubes today are a great resource! That said, the above issues may be beyond me. No clue what might have caused that condition on the right side of the chamber. That should be reasonably uniform metal unless it's intentionally ground down during manufacturing. Also, the amount of play in the firing-pin housing (center of the bolt) is not what I'm used to seeing on any other firearm. To get the rifle to a gunsmith for his opinion means I'll have to take delivery formally.

·
Registered
825 Posts
First, is this the ( "my "new" 2005 1895") that you were waiting on last week? Secondly, I am pretty sure if you post pictures you will get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, this is the "new" 2005. Attached three pictures that better describe my two concerns:

2017-12-06 14.40.51.jpg Jagged right side of chamber
2017-12-06 14.42.31.jpg Note the gaps and position of the pin with the bolt extended
2017-12-06 14.43.39.jpg With bolt closed, the pin is riding the bottom of the slot. If I push it forwards with my finger, there's clearly friction. Obviously, I'm going to clean and lube this later. Before I accept this from my FFL, is this basically how Marlin pins fit?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those pictures don't look any different than my 2014 CBA. The two positions of the two piece pin at the back of the bolt reflect whether the lever is open or closed. Mine looks the same in those two positions. Picture 1 doesn't look a whole lot different than mine too. It certainly isn't the smoothest but I don't see any problems. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think it’s all normal. Idk why the cutout is there on the right side of chamber but it’s on my rifle too.
The off center firing pin is just a function of it being a 2 piece firing pin if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! This is the first used rifle or lever action that I've ever purchased. I don't know what I don't know, so am looking for unusual wear and places where the action might not work correctly. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! Feeling better about this purchase. This Marlin is the first used lever-action that I've ever purchased. I don't know what I don't know. Looking for unusual wear or anything that might interfere with correct firing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Those pictures don't look any different than my 2014 CBA. The two positions of the two piece pin at the back of the bolt reflect whether the lever is open or closed. Mine looks the same in those two positions. Picture 1 doesn't look a whole lot different than mine too. It certainly isn't the smoothest but I don't see any problems. I'm sure others will chime in.
Roger That!

·
Super Moderator
23,786 Posts
Yes, this is the "new" 2005. Attached three pictures that better describe my two concerns:

View attachment 597274 Jagged right side of chamber
View attachment 597282 Note the gaps and position of the pin with the bolt extended
View attachment 597298 With bolt closed, the pin is riding the bottom of the slot. If I push it forwards with my finger, there's clearly friction. Obviously, I'm going to clean and lube this later. Before I accept this from my FFL, is this basically how Marlin pins fit?

The firing pin on a Marlin 336/1895/1894 (and some earlier models)
is a two piece system. When the lever is closed, there is a locking lug
that comes up and it does two things...It locks the bolt in place, and aligns
the rear and front firing pins, allowing the rifle to fire.
This keeps the rifle form firing accidentally, with the bolt partially open.
It is the system known as the "Marlin safety".

As others have stated, the cutout you show in the photo
is called the extractor slot. This allows room for the extractor
claw to catch the rim of a cartridge, so it can be pulled back
after being chambered.
All things considered you have a normal rifle.

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
Your 2005 JM Marlin pics you posted look just like my 2001 JM Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70's

Without ammo in magazine nor chamber, mine will cycle upside down. however I did not try it with ammo in mag/chamber, then cycling upside down.

my firing pin is at bottom of hole with bolt backed out and rides on/towards top of the hole when bolt is in battery(closed)

I noticed the 'reliefing / jagged / sharp edge in pic# 1 too , when I looked mine over a long time ago. it's normal.

You have to cycle these lever actions with a bit of authority. You're supposed to. Just don't make like The Hulk. Ever watch "The Rifleman" TV show ,or a John Wayne Western Movie ..or even "Wanted-Dead or Alive TV show? That's how ya do it.....

Also sometime ago, I noticed mine didn't like to feed if held sideways with ejection port towards ground. It sometimes jammed, sometimes didn't. I was using A-Zoom dummy rounds though and they're a tad shorter than regular ammo. I'd say that's normal too.

Yours is as normal as can be as far as I can see..my suggestion (unless someone else sees something wrong) is..... BUY IT !

How about posting several pics showing the complete 1895? We like to drool ya know.......

BTW...Welcome to MO forum and Congratulations on your new to you 2005 JM Marlin 1895. DON'T EVER SELL IT !

BTW...I have found that Walmart and Academy Sprtg Goods seems to have the best "box of 20" price on Winchester Super X 300 gn JHP 45-70 Gov't ammo. $34.63 (tax included IIRC)at WM and $35.XX at Academy. Unless you're reloading your own..might as well save some $$ when buying ammo......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also get yourself some dummy rounds/snap caps; cheap and allow you to check function. We might live near one another if you need a second set of eyes. I have 2 1895s.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
:dito: With everyone else. What is he asking for this beauty? What model is the 1895?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Great question!! Great answers!! I learned a lot reading this. Thanks for the postings.

Reactions: Officer29
1 - 20 of 26 Posts