Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xs7y and I have been struggling to come up with an accurate load for it. If I recall correctly the twist rate on these guns is better suited for the lighter 24 caliber bullets. I am trying to find a good deer load. I have tried the 90 grain nosler e-tips and 100 grain hornady interloks with H4350 and had less than stellar results. I need to either try a different load with the hornadys or try a different bullet. The federal 85 grain barnes tsx factory load shoots very well but I want to reload and the factory ammo is expensive. I am considering getting some of the barnes bullets and trying to duplicate the federal load. Should I try this or keep looking for some 95 grain nosler ballistic tips or even the 85 grain sierra HPBT. I have heard both of these work well from a .243 as a deer load. Any recommendations on where I should start regarding the bullet weights would be highly appreciated. We have an early youth season here in PA in about 6 weeks and I would like to have this ready to go for my son and my nephew to use. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Have you tried any factory loaded 100gr ammo, such as 100gr CoreLokt Remington or Federal blue box?

LI will look through my notes and get back here a little later on.
Do you have any H380 powder on hand? I have a very accurate load noted that shoots great in half a dozen rifles I've tried them in.

Be back after with info!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Federal blue box was my go to ammo before I tried the federal 85 grain tsx load. It (blue box) is not quite as accurate as the tsx load but my son shot his first deer with that load when he was 9. I thought I could get the hornady 100 grain interloks to shoot well but each load I tried was 5-6" at 100 yards. I could try a different seating depth and see if that helps but it did not show much promise so I didn't keep playing. I have varget, RL-22, benchmark and H4350 powders on hand currently.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yikes....

No, the twist rate isn't for light bullets, it's a standard 10 twist.
Seating depth won't play much into this, unless you have some wretched concentricity, and a mountain of jump. Just seat your bullets 1/32" off the lands and work loads, but remember: every bullet will be different, these loads only go in this rifle.

Otherwise you didn't give us much useful info. How much bullet jump are you trying? What is your loading data source? What increments did you load, from what to where? What did your chrono tell you for ES/SD, how about expected/actual velocity? Those things will help you fish out a bad load early. Also, since you talked about Barnes, what does JBM day for a stability factor? Those tend to be rather long bullets.

Midsouth has the bullets you want, in-stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check my loading info when I get home for more specifics. I know for sure I loaded from the nosler book on the e-tips and seated them to the max OAL listed since they chambered fine and cycled from the magazine in my gun.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Sierra 100 gn spritzer flat base starting load of H380 35-36 gns work up from there.

I shot that in informal novelty matches in hunter bench rest comp at 200 yds. Chicken eggs at 200 were easy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
So here is a little more info for you.
Remember that "light" bullets needed slower twists back when, due to being constructed lightly. To many RPM would cause them to explode. But it isn't about "light, or heavy" twist is all about bullet length. Here is a resource to give you an idea whether or not something will be stable.
Use the "length" tab to find lengths, then input the specifics and see the output.
Green is good, yellow is in the marginal, or "maybe" class. Red, well you get it.
Remember that velocity decays rapidly, whereas rotation decays VERY slowly. So a bullet will actually gain stability, or can "go to sleep" the father down range it goes.
JBM - Calculations - Stability

·
Registered
52 Posts
i thought i wouldnt buy another marlin since remington got involved BUT they had x7's on sale at out local BigR for 239.00 yeah couldnt turn that down and a 243 came home,put a boyds stock on it and a piece of crap 4-12x44 simmons scope(had the stock and scope laying around) i shot some factory ammo ive had for years some was even mixed up 70 and 80g and some 100g prvi to kinda break it in and get it on paper,took it out again with some of my buddys hand loads to try out some other bullets to find a nice starting point for hand loads..........ill just let the pics do the talking:biggrin: all shots at 100 yards

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMR 4350 is my go to powder in 243 it works great with all the bullets I've tried from 70-100 gr. One year I couldn't get it so I tried H4350, I couldn't get it to shoot nearly as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I read so many great things about the Sierra 85 gr BTHP and how they perform well on deer. I have shot 2 deer with this bullet, the first deer was about 40 yards and was shot so directly into the heart, there was no heart when I dressed it. That deer went about 30-40 yards and was recovered. The second deer was hit high in the front shoulders at 200 yards and fell in his tracks. I use 43.5 gr of Hybrid 100v , CCI 200 primers, Winchester brass and a C.O.L. of 2.650. On paper they load shoots sub 1" at 100 yards in a CVA APEX. Those are my .243 experiences, hope this helps, and as always, those loads are safe in my gun, start lower, and work up slowly looking for signs of pressure.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
I agree with JJ Grand's load recommendation

that is my go to load

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
i thought i wouldnt buy another marlin since remington got involved BUT they had x7's on sale at out local BigR for 239.00 yeah couldnt turn that down and a 243 came home,put a boyds stock on it and a piece of crap 4-12x44 simmons scope(had the stock and scope laying around) i shot some factory ammo ive had for years some was even mixed up 70 and 80g and some 100g prvi to kinda break it in and get it on paper,took it out again with some of my buddys hand loads to try out some other bullets to find a nice starting point for hand loads..........ill just let the pics do the talking:biggrin: all shots at 100 yards
Shiptons just ran the same sale price a week or so ago in Billings, MT. and Sheridan. Wyo. Are you around any of those stores? DP

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Rifle is beautiful derby king! I have a 7mm-08 AI Dangerous Dan put together for me as my "Custom" rifle that has the Boyds Thimbhole stock on it as well, also cerocoated, action trued up and piller bedded in the stock. Need to get it out and play with it after hunting season. Did you get any permits this year? DP

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
IMR4064 is my go to powder in a 243 700 and a Ruger #1. The Sierra book lists the 85 grain (1530) bullet as probably the best bullet for the .243 Win. It is a bullet designed for long range varmint hunting and in next sentence says good for deer sized game. Max expansion tells me maybe bullet blowup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rifle is beautiful derby king! I have a 7mm-08 AI Dangerous Dan put together for me as my "Custom" rifle that has the Boyds Thimbhole stock on it as well, also cerocoated, action trued up and piller bedded in the stock. Need to get it out and play with it after hunting season. Did you get any permits this year? DP
i didnt,my 12yo boy did draw a cow tag for 410,hes been shooting a cz kevlar .204 for dogs for a couple years and has a xs7y 7mm/08 for hunting hes been practicing with all summer.hes a hammer with a steady rest so he has been working on his off hand shooting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts