Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an Older Pre-Safety Marlin 336T .30-30 at a Local Pawn Shop.
The Gun is No Beauty Queen & Looks like she's bounced around in the back of someones PickUp for Years.
The Wood is all dinged up & the Finish is about worn off in places.
The Bluing on the metal is also Well Worn & there is a Light Freckling on about 75% of the Metal.
Luckily the Bore Looks Really Good & the Action is Slick as Snot.
It has a 20in. Barrel & a Straight Walnut Stock.
Was thinking of picking this one up for a Project Gun. She's been in the Rack for the last 5 months.
So, Y'all Tell me, Is the Asking Price of $299 a Good Deal or Not?
Any Input would be Greatly Appreciated.
UncleSarge58

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
The Gun is No Beauty Queen & Looks like she's bounced around in the back of someones PickUp for Years.
The Bluing on the metal is also Well Worn & there is a Light Freckling on about 75% of the Metal.
Was thinking of picking this one up for a Project Gun. She's been in the Rack for the last 5 months.
UncleSarge58
Well if it is a Texan I think that adds a little into how many people would pay extra for it. The way you talk about the condition does not sound good. Pictures would be great. Going by the model and the way you say it looks without pics I would say for my area a OK deal but nothing you could flip for more. If you want it for a shooter then yea not a bad price. May be a gun you could spruce up and make a keeper as well.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Offer $250 and see if you walk out with it. Else $300 for a Texan out the door with built in character is a good price. Mechanics and bore being good. I personally like a well worn patina.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Offer $250 and see if you walk out with it. Else $300 for a Texan out the door with built in character is a good price. Mechanics and bore being good. I personally like a well worn patina.
+1! :top:

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
I've paid more for a pre-safety Texan with more character. If I had seen it first you wouldn't be asking about it. It would be gone. :flute:

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm with Swany on that one. I don't have a Texan and would not hesitate to shorten and re-blue a beater!
Don't think I would Shorten it. Wood is Sound (No Cracks & Bullseye Intact) & just Needs Refinishing.
Metal Definitely Needs Re Bluing. These 2 things Would Probably be all I would do.
Might be able to get it for $275 Cash. I go by there Frequently.
Hopefully it's Still there when I can get back by.
US58

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
UncleSarge58
If the gun is mechanically fit and has a good bore with no dings near the muzzle crown $250 would be fair..........$299 is a bit steep.
I have pre-64 Winchester 94s that are in roughly the same condition (battered but in good working order and quite shootable) that are worth a heck of a lot more than the $299 asking price of this gun.
The difference is that 336s are still being made and pre-64 Winny 94s ain't.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
As a project gun, you have the value of the fun and pride involved with putting the rifle straight. If a smith is going to reblue the gun, say for $125, and you re-finish the wood it becomes close to a $450 rifle, and it will be worth about that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Put some pix up when you get it!

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I got a really pristine Texan for not much money. As for shortening it, its already got a 18 1/2 inch barrel. In my opinion, thats short enough, at least for my needs. I can't imagine anyone letting a Texan get beat up like that! Buy it, restore it, and shoot it like you meant it. It will serve you faithfully!

Ron

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Man, I need to stay away from threads like this one....today is Sunday so all the LGSs are closed. Now I want to go gun shopping again. Maybe another Texan..................

Ron

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You dont have it yet. I have a week spot for these marlins that need some TLC. I messed around and made a deal on a stainless steel model 60 22 today. Probably paying too much for it but I liked it. Got a couple more grand daughters going to be needing a 22 in a few years, so Im investing in their future.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Out of State 4 Work at the Moment.
Gonna Call tomorrow & See if They will Put it Back 4 Me.
I'll just have to Send 'em a $50 Deposit & they'll Hold it 4me.
Done a Lot of Business there in the Past. (Bought 3 Guns)
May even Send My Brother out to Secure it 4 me.
More I Think about it the More I Want it.
Dang Marlinitis :flute:
US58

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Sounds like a good one! I'm one that likes an honest experience look also so I don't let that bug me at all. The price would be pretty good for aeround here.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
turbobug,
For a Straight Stocked Texan !?
US58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
turbo,
Sad But True.
Hopefully I won't have to Pay More than $275 for it when I confront the owner Fact 2 Face.
Left Him a Message to Call me back about Holdin' it 4 me.
Will Definitely Call Again Tomorrow.
If you Know Where One In Better Condition Is, for the Same Price in SC, By All Means Let me know, as I Will Be in SC Next Week. Will B in Columbia/Lake Murray Area. S. West of Lexington for 2 wks.
US58

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.