Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my situation I was shooting some round balls. I cleaned the rifle with with alcohol (got distracted helping the misses) did not run a dry patch through the barrel ,loaded it and pop,tried to shoot it out again pop, got the bullet puller out and slowly turned i got a bite and pulled (several times) . soak the barrel over night in clp no success now I got a round ball with a hole in it . I see it with a bore camera. so I got a 50 cal ball puller in the drill press and got the collet down to.315 soaked the barrel in BP penetrating oil (got a bite on the ball and pulled with no success I did not strip the ball this time) now I'm thinking to soak the barrel in lead remove overnight and try again. next would be lead remover with a breech scraper a little at a time .pulling the breech is out, since the bolster is probably threaded into the breech. any advice would greatly appreciated. ps/ I know I'm just a lurker on this site but it took me a hour to type this post .lol. thanks greatly

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
What rifle is the ball stuck in? Is it a centerfire or a muzzle loader?

If it's a centerfire and you can get the bolt out, just tap it out with a dowel or cleaning rod. No different from slugging the bore. Same if it's a muzzle loader and you can remove the breech plug.

If you can't get behind the ball to push it, you'll need to find a coarse threaded screw that will screw into the hole in that ball. Find some way to attach the screw to a rod, and then pull it out by tapping. You can put a pair of vise grips on the rod and tap on those.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If it's a centerfire and you can get the bolt out, just tap it out with a dowel or cleaning rod. No different from slugging the bore. Same if it's a muzzle loader and you can remove the breech plug.

If you can't get behind the ball to push it, you'll need to find a coarse threaded screw that will screw into the hole in that ball. Find some way to attach the screw to a rod, and then pull it out by tapping. You can put a pair of vise grips on the rod and tap on those.

It's a muzzleloader traditions 32 cal crockett rifle( sidelock)

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Google it.

Either mount a drywall screw into a dowel, screw that into the ball, and pull. Lead is a dead metal. Once you get it started it will move easily.

Or, take out the nipple. Pour XXX black powder behind the ball, replace nipple, cap it and fire it out. Yeah, I know it's got a hole in the ball, but there should still be enough oomph to move the ball out.

Good luck. Let us know.

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
You never mentioned brand, type, or model of rifle. I have been a professional mechanic since 1973. I know for a fact that any assembly that is threaded in can be threaded out. Is there a breech plug? Soak the back end in a can of Kroil for a week, and turn out all threaded assemblies. Try to use non-marring tools.

Edit add-on: I see in the time it took me to post you named brand and model. If this rifle has a breech plug, you need to get it out. I see online comments that say removing the breech plug destroys the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
4,518 Posts
Not a quick fix but go online to Track of the Wolf and order a bullet puller. It threads onto your ramrod or cleaning rod. It screws into the ball and you can pull it out. I had to use one on my 54cal last year.

·
Super Moderator
4,518 Posts
Also, some tips will have a hidden puller if you unscrew the tip from the ramrod.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I never pulled a breech from a side lock it looks possible to me , I dont know how much effort it will take . Its farly new new . alot lot of questions on my part, once the breech is removed will it line up when assembled. do I seal the threads . a friend of mine at the club told me he had done it once. a padded vice and padded monkey wrench with lots of penetrate oil . and a bucket of bolts hanging from the wrench over night ( true ) makes sense ,lol .old timers. I am not far behind😂

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to try lead remove overnight an d pull again shoot choice I got on alot hand it rips flakes of lead out of my barrel barrels when I started casting own

·
Super Moderator
4,518 Posts
My wife was chirping in my ear as I was reading your post and completely skipped the ball puller part.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
When you debreech it make sure to clean threads and treat with Never Sieze. I have TC tools to debreech Hawkin and Renegade. I have a Bronze adjustable wrench I use on others. I wouldn’t try powder now that you have put oils in barrel. Small bore MLs are PIA using bullet screw. Screw in 32 ball acts like a screw anchor. You never want to use a drywall screw. They are brittle and if you bust one off in ball you got another problem. I have 5/16th brass rod for 32cal. It’s center drilled with set screw for drill bit and screw. Drill hole through bullet by hand turning, switch to screw (#8 stainless wood screw sold for boats) have flats filed on rod to use wrench to screw it. Usually just pull out with no problem. Working a few grains of powder at start would have popped it out.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Since you have already drilled a pretty big hole in the ball, you certainly won't be able to shoot it out (the easiest). If a bigger worm will not pull it, then you really need to pull the breech plug (not as hard as you are imagining it, particularly if near new). Your friend is right, barrel in a padded vice & a big wrench on the plug. I'd plug the nipple & pour some kerosene down the barrel & let it stand overnight first.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, I very appreciate the input .it will be a couple days before I get home to try working on it . I still mulling on what to do . I knew this was the right place to go for great advice. the grease gun is a option i know that 50 cal bullet puller i reduced the collet on.threads in to the ball tight might try it. any more advice is more than welcome .keep your powder dry, i will keep you updated

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
When I build a rifle I engrave a witness mark on the bottom flat and the brichplug. That way I am sure it lines up. If that rifle has a drum remove it before trying to remove the plug. A lot of those foreign guns have the drum through the plug. Do not use a pipe wrench unless you want ugly lines on your plug or barrel. 1/8" brass or aluminum makes good padding in a vise.
Removing breech plugs in repro rifles is not for the feint of heart.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
I had a lot of customers pull the end off TC ram rods with bullet pullers. If you get screw in ball and it’s still stuck tight back off or you’ll have bigger problem. For customers I would pull ball for free if they didn’t have other stuff broke off in barrel. I had special dummy nipple to covert to air off compressor. That would usually work. If they screwed around and I had to debreech it cost them. I use to buy aluminum 3/8 rod x 8’ and cut them about 2” longer than TC rods. Center drilled and tapped for accessories.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts