Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread question and discussion. I bought an 18.5” Model 1895GBL .45-70 Gov’t (but also thinking about buying a CB later). After arguing with Cabela’s gun Manager on wasting 60 rounds due to them selling me a scope they said would work (really my fault for believing them and not doing my research), I finally picked up a scope (Leopold FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm) made for it.

My father and I want information about a specific round.

North Fork .458-350 CPS. If anyone has used it, would you mind sharing your load data, Lee-crimp or roll-crimp, powder type and amount, ect…? Found a forum post from “reflex264” on this round (linked). Not sure what to think of it. Would not mind some more info from others.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...emium-bullets-test-45-70-450-now-updated.html

New to reloading yet not new to failing thousands of times before finding the right way from experience.

Thank You in advance

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
I haven't used that bullet but I do shoot 350gr ranch dog bullets - cast with a gas check - WW LRP....46-47gr 0f 3031....this is an intermediate load - apprx 1600 to 1700 fps....used the same charge for 405gr and jacketed bullets in that weight range - its good for anything on this side of the planet and 99% of the African critters....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread question and discussion. I bought an 18.5” Model 1895GBL .45-70 Gov’t (but also thinking about buying a CB later). After arguing with Cabela’s gun Manager on wasting 60 rounds due to them selling me a scope they said would work (really my fault for believing them and not doing my research), I finally picked up a scope (Leopold FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm) made for it.

My father and I want information about a specific round.

North Fork .458-350 CPS. If anyone has used it, would you mind sharing your load data, Lee-crimp or roll-crimp, powder type and amount, ect…? Found a forum post from “reflex264” on this round (linked). Not sure what to think of it. Would not mind some more info from others.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...emium-bullets-test-45-70-450-now-updated.html

New to reloading yet not new to failing thousands of times before finding the right way from experience.

Thank You in advance

The reflex 264 article/thread is by far and away the best. I also find RL 7 is the best powder for 350 grain jacketed Bullets.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
RedLightHitter, welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on your Marlin, you are going to enjoy the .45-70 it's a fun cartridge.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't shoot that particular bullet. I shoot cast rounds and have developed some astounding accuracy working up various loads. You might grab yourself the new Lyman 50th edition reloading manual. It has a wealth of information in it concerning this fine old caliber. Let us know how your coming along and pics would be great.

Reactions: 500linebaugh
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.