Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Silverado is on it's last leg. After 260K miles and 15 salty winters, it's literally falling apart from rust. It's getting traded off tomorrow. I have two trucks picked out and cannot decide. I absolutely hate vehicle payments, but it's time for a new one and I hate fixing used vehicles.

First truck is a Silverado double cab Z71 with the All Star Edition with the 5.3L V8. It's really nice with the exception of the $40k out the door price. Not a big fan of paying for all this new electronic gadgetry that I will never learn to use.

Second truck is a Silverado double cab Custom or Work Truck. It's $6300 cheaper and doesn't have the gadgetry. The 4 wheel drive is manual on the floor and the floor is rubber. I actually like this better than carpet. The only drawback to me on this truck is the 4.3L V6. Supposedly, it has the same horse power that my 2003 did with the 5.3L engine. I seldom tow anything, and this truck will just be used for going to work and hunting.

I would like to know what experiences any of you have had with the new Ecotech 4.3L.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just bought 2018 Silverado LT 4x4 double cab with the 5.3 Y8. It has most of the bells and whistles which I wanted. 1. Get the V8. I'm getting 22 mpg with the power to pull a trailer up a hill. Make sure you have towing package. 2. I have the double cab which used to be the extended cab. If all you are going to do is use back seat for carrying stuff get double cab. If someone will ride back there more than once every 4 months go with the crew cab. 3. I have electronic 4x4 but I trust the manual shift more. Sounds like you need the less fancy Custon with the manual 4x4. V8, tow package and decide on crew or double cab.

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
I can't help with your decision but it sounds like a plain double cab is what you need. I would probably find one with the V8 if you ever plan to haul anything. I really love my crew cab LTZ 4x4 but the baby bed leaves a bit to be desired. I have the 5.3 but recently had it serviced and they loaned me a silver 6.2 that was fast. I don't haul much though so mine works great for hunting or going to the range.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Personally I'd go with the 5.3 V8. Even the 4.8 V8 is underpowered, I can't imagine the V6 is much better. They get good mileage and do everything I need them to do plus they've been very reliable for me. What is the difference in price if you upgrade the engine in the work truck to a 5.3? Maybe that's the way to go, I can't imagine the engine upgrade would cost $6300. Last week I looked at the sticker on a new crew cab LTZ and just about fell over.

Stu

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I would opt for the 5.3L V8 motor in a full size truck. The 4.3L V6 motor will work, but there's nothing like cubic inches for a full size truck.
I know you said it's just going to be used to get to work & hunting. But when you have a P/U, there are days that you need to pick up garden material, furniture, lumber, etc.
If price is an issue, maybe look into a Silverado w/ 5.3L V8 but without the Z71 package? (but the Z71 package is nice.)
If you can wait, come Sept. all the dealerships will be running a clearance sale on the 2018's because the 2019 are coming out.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
My brother owned a full size 1500 Chevy W/T 4x4 with the 4.3L V6 for several years. He pulled his Smokercraft walleye boat all over the country with it and never had any issues. Those 4.3s are a damn good engine.
I own a 2010 suburban with the 5.3L V8. Good power and torque, but I liked the simplicity of the old 5.7L in the older suburbans.
If your not towing 5000 pounds and don't mind a bit noisier ride, due to less sound insulation, then go with the cheaper model.
Andrew

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I can’t tell you which truck to get,but if you are spending the big bucks and plan to haul or tow some weight ,I’d stay away from the 4.3.Don’t even know why they’d offer such a beautiful truck like that with that weak engine.
One of my workers got a Chevy Silverado with the V6.Don’t know why he did not get a V8.It does not save him gas.And when we haul a pallet of tile or take demo debre to the dump,he always wishes it had more power.But,he’s stuck with it and the payments.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone your advice. All the comments were things I have thought about. Here is a summery of questions asked by all of you.

I really cannot wait any longer to keep shopping. I'm going on a trip in at the end of the week and need a decent vehicle. The Work Truck is what I need and in the color I want, but it's missing a few things. It's $1000 to upgrade to the 5.3L V8, which is well worth it in my opinion but the dealers around me do not have any in stock. I would also need to add a hitch, which is another $500 after installation and wire harness. The manual 4x4 on the floor is ok, but it doesn't have auto 4 wheel drive, just low and high.

Or...... I just get the Z71 package that has everything for basically $4800 more if I were to upgrade the Work Truck. I'm guessing the resale value will be greater on the Z71 as well. I'm not a payment guy, and really want to knock this debt out as soon as possible. The Z71 adds another year onto this plan. However, it would be worth it if I care to sell later on down the road. Decisions, decisions.....

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Just my thoughts, but go big or stay home. Doesn’t seem like you trade very often, like myself. Bigger is better in my book, you never know when you may need more power. I know they say the smaller engines can perform the same, but I still haven’t bought into that yet. This is all coming from a Ford guy.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
The only suggestion as a long time Chevy owner is to do your homework and check the NTSB recalls. Lots of vehicles having recalls lately some of them on major components. Also as an owner of a 2003 Sonoma with 4.3 V6 Vortec this engine has it's share of issues. In general anything "Vortec" is not as good as GM used technology to make the power but they skimped out on ruggedness by making the block and head castings thinner and lighter. Also, plastic intake manifolds which eventually warp and cause gasket leaks. I've been a hot rodder for 30 yrs now and I can see how much thinner the heads and block castings are now. The blocks cannot be bored more than once and the heads are throw away now. You basically cannot overheat these new cars or you will ruin the engine. Also, with the oil coolers and trans coolers now built into the radiator you must keep a close watch on your oil and trans fluids. If a leak develops in the oil coolers it can introduce coolant into your trans or engine lube and cause catastrophic damage if not caught in time.

Also, many of the one piece plastic body parts are VERY EXPENSIVE to replace as they are one piece now. Door hinges are welded in place and not bolted so replacement is very difficult. They just don't make them like they used to anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10 acres and cowboy23 have given good advice. The 4.3L in the WT is new again for 2018. Hate to have recalls. My experience with the 5.3L has been excellent, it runs the same as it did 260k ago. Although, the 3.8L in my 1998 Lesabre is the best engine I've ever seen. With 200k it was still averaging 30 mpg and had all kinds of power.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
My opinion means poot, the decision is ultimately yours. But love my 2014 Silverado! And I loved my 2000 Silverado. But I have to say, I'm a big fanof bells and whistles. Never thought I'd like a backup camera, but now I want one up front and mirror cameras too. And seat warmers, and remote start (swoon), and Bluetooth phone, and USB ports and SD card slot and satellite radio (never use FM at all).

God help me if I'm ever able to ORDER a new truck the way I want it.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
But I have to say, I'm a big fanof bells and whistles. Never thought I'd like a backup camera, but now I want one up front and mirror cameras too. And seat warmers, and remote start (swoon), and Bluetooth phone, and USB ports and SD card slot and satellite radio (never use FM at all).

God help me if I'm ever able to ORDER a new truck the way I want it.
Gotta admit the heated seats, and remote start are a real boon in our Buffalo winters!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
My opinion means poot, the decision is ultimately yours. But love my 2014 Silverado! And I loved my 2000 Silverado. But I have to say, I'm a big fanof bells and whistles. Never thought I'd like a backup camera, but now I want one up front and mirror cameras too. And seat warmers, and remote start (swoon), and Bluetooth phone, and USB ports and SD card slot and satellite radio (never use FM at all).
I never use the heat but the cooled leather seats were a must for me living in the deep south. I use the remote start every morning going to work and afternoon when I come home. It is great to get in the truck and the seats are cooled and the A/C is already on!

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I will add that Chevys really do seem to hold their value well. I just bought a 2005 Crew Cab Z71 which was the best deal I found after looking at every truck in the county. I looked at an 08 that had over 100kmi and needed cab corners and rockers (this is the truck with the 4.8L) and they still wanted $12.5k for it. Believe it or not $12.5k is still well under what everyone else wants for 2008s. Your $40k truck will still be worth $25k (at least that's what they're going for here) in 5 years if it's taken care which I have no doubt you will do. I had initially planned to spend $15k on a truck that was less than 10 years old, I quickly found out that was not realistic around here.

Options are nice, I'm not a bells and whistles kind of guy generally but I'm finding the features of my new to me truck very cool. The power, heated leather seats will be very nice come winter especially after spending the day in the woods hunting. The power, heated mirrors were great in my last truck but these mirrors are something else, they tilt down when you put the truck in reverse making it easier to see where your tires are when backing up. None of these features are necessary and I could certainly have lived without them but now that I have them I'm enjoying them.

Stu

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.