Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to embark on loading my own 45 long colt ammunition. I have loaded for 45-70, 44 mag and .357 using WFNGC bullets from Beartooth Bullete and they have never let me down. Can any member here recommend a bullet type, weight, powder charge, primer etc that would be a trustworthy projectile to launch at wild game?(Deer & Hogs) I eagerly wait on as many suggestions as can be provided....

Martin

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like Beartooths 335gr wfngc over h110. Dont have my data infront of me. I only push them to 1150 out of a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. As mentioned, be careful on what firearm you are loading for. There are alot of Ruger/F.A. only loads out there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My preference is Hornady 250gr XTP Win 296, H110 and or Littlegun. My cowboy loves 250xtp Max charge of W296 Winchester primers 1750 fps shoots 1" groups and Kills Deer Deader Then Dead and I have not recovered a bullet yet all passthrew. Widow

Reactions: russell4570

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I have been using the 265 grain Cast Performance with a stout load of H-110 out of my 1989 model 1894 and I have also shot some of the Buffalo Bore HP's that get around 1450 fps from a pistol and around 1800 fps from a rifle. Its good ammo.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I will be loading these 45 long colts for a 12 gauge shotgun 28" barrel, the shotgun barrel has a 8" adapter that holds and fires the 45 long colt bullet. Lately I am using "one rifle" a 12 gauge with adapters that fire every ammunition that I need.

Again need a 45LC receipe being fired from a 8" adapter from a 12 gauge shotgun....... any response would be appreciated.

Martin

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
OK, you lost me there. So the bullet, after firing out of the 8" long rifled adapter, will be scooting down a .729" diameter tunnel?

Never heard of such a thing. Interesting.

Not sure of the pressure limits of the adapter but 12ga target loads are in the range of 10,000psi.

Reactions: picketpin

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
UPDATE: I will be loading these 45 long colts for a 12 gauge shotgun 28" barrel, the shotgun barrel has a 8" adapter that holds and fires the 45 long colt bullet. Lately I am using "one rifle" a 12 gauge with adapters that fire every ammunition that I need.

Again need a 45LC receipe being fired from a 8" adapter from a 12 gauge shotgun....... any response would be appreciated.

Martin
Hey Martin,

The "go to" load for the 45 LC is 7.5 to 8.0 gr of Unique or Universal Clays, with a 255 gr LSWC, or 250 gr LFP.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Catherine and M700

·
Registered
417 Posts
Neptune,

Glad you got back with what you were using them in. Now you are using something where you must keep the pressure low. A single-action Colt 45 would be another example of a gun, chambered in 45 long colt, that must have lowered pressure loads.

One of my 45's takes higher pressure and preforms much like a 44 mag. I mean it is nasty. Make a mistake with loads for it and use them in a single-action Colt and you will have ruination. That gun is a Smith and Wesson Governor.

As said before, keep your loads in the target pressure category. A shotgun action is not a high pressure thing.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, I just purchased a brand new single barrel NEF 12 Gauge and ordered adapters from Short Lane gunadapters.com. Ordered a 8" rifled 12 gauge to .22 caliber adapter, a 12 gauge to 410/ 45 Long Colt adapter and a muzzeloading adpater for the 12 gauge all per suggestions from Dave Canterbury on WildernessOutfitters (youtube) and his store Thepathfinderstore.com I have seen all these loads in action and it is pretty impressive, expecially considering having one rifle that will shoot multiple loads, not to mention the shotguns normal loads of 12 gauge slug, 00buck and various shot for bird, turkey, etc. Would be nice to have One rifle, one haversack filled different flavored ammunition at the ready.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.