Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks!
Can anybody help me out here? I am putting a straight stock on this previously P/G gun and need to aforementioned part to complete the transformation. Thanks as always.
Billy Boy

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You can just file yours down if you cant find one.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
mark your line,cut , file , Keep filing till you get down to your line, then polish and reblue

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Wow, what a description.

When you get the cutting and filing done which grit sand paper do you use?

Seems that I learn something on this board weekly whether I want to or not. :wink:

Thanks Hyde, your a champ.

SS

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I start with 100gr. to get the scratches from the file out then work down to wet sanding with 400gr.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hyde that is a great post. Would you please post it in the reference section so folks can find it in the future.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I really am amazed at some of ya'lls gunsmithing. I can do anything with a piece of wood, but when it comes to metal working I get scared to easily. After looking at the pictures, I almost feel like I could do that. But that is easily said sitting at a computer desk.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hyde,

Good choice of photos. Most could follow that.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Ebay is great for parts.all these are from ebay except the receiver,I got it on gunbroker for $35.00.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work Hyde!

Say Hyde....I don't suppose You'd consider parting with one of those straight tangs now wouldja? Like one of the other respondees said; I'm pretty darn good with wood; but metals another thing altogether.
Billy Boy :wink:

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Billy, those two trigger plates are both unfinished curved ones that still need to be fitted to a stock and reblued. They would still need filed to fit your stock. If you want to try and finish one I'll give you one. Anybody can do this stuff, I've built cabinets in a factory for almost 28 yrs. but I love working with metal. If you can do wood you can do this. You could do these plates in 2 min. on a belt sander but what fun would that be. You can't beat a good file.:D :D :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hyde, PM sent.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! God forbid I ever feel the need to return this gun to a P/G config. You guys are the best!
PS- Ill try to post pics of this project when finished. It'll entail:
'72 Marlin 336A(originally a JCPenny 3040)
Straight stock(courtesy of MarlinMan93)
DRC straight grip compatible, Big Loop Lever (via Brownells)
probably gonna use XS sights

1 - 16 of 16 Posts