Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45Colt. That being the case, I do not have the owners manual and the Marlin website expects you to snail mail inquiries.

I am having a hard time getting a straight answer on ammo that is safe to use. I do not handload but want to use it for an upcoming deer hunt. Here in UT. I am required to use expanding bullets so cowboy action loads won't fit that requirement.

I found that Hornady makes a 225gr. Leverevolution round that looks like it would fit the bill. Can I safely shoot standard (not +P) loads in this carbine?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country.

A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
It should have been made in the past couple decades. Don't remember when Marlin started chambering the new 1894 in 45 Colt but had to have been in the past twenty years ( ? ). You can check the serial number and DOM in the reference section of the forum. If it is in good condition you shoud be fine with any standard modern ammo. Maybe even some of the stouter stuff from the specialty mfrs. Reputable specialty ammo mfrs will know if their ammo is OK in a Marlin 1894.

Hornady offers the LE ammo and Winchester offers a silvertip that members have reported having deer hunting success with.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Welcome to MO forums. If you are concern or unsure for any reason take the rifle to a gunsmith and have them check it out to make sure it is safe and then tell you what is safe to shoot. If it was made in the last 50 years and is in good condition it should shoot regular modern ammo that it says it is chambered for.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the great plains of Kansas. IF the gun is in good shape I would be ok with Leverevo ammo. Leverevo shoots a bit hotter.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I recently inherited a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45Colt. That being the case, I do not have the owners manual and the Marlin website expects you to snail mail inquiries.

I am having a hard time getting a straight answer on ammo that is safe to use. I do not handload but want to use it for an upcoming deer hunt. Here in UT. I am required to use expanding bullets so cowboy action loads won't fit that requirement.

I found that Hornady makes a 225gr. Leverevolution round that looks like it would fit the bill. Can I safely shoot standard (not +P) loads in this carbine?

Thanks
Kine,

Go online to the website Steve's Guns. There are manuals for almost every gun ever (except for S&W's).

John

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Here's the Link to stevespages.com: page7b
Lots of Free pdf Manuals.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The rifle is in as good of shape as any I own. Dad rarely if ever shot it and only bought it a couple years ago (5 max). I've shot cowboy loads through it without a hitch but as you already know they are "tamed" and with solid lead bullets can't be used for hunting in this instance.

I checked the link to the manual above, thank you. It doesn't mention the .45 at all though. Is there a difference in safe ammo between the 1894, 1894 S, 1894C, 1894 Cowboy, 1894 Limited?

I'm thinking just about any expanding bullet loaded to standard pressures and launched from a carbine will do what I want in this case. I normally hunt with my scoped .270 but thought this little lever action would be fun to try out.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Don't Own a 45 myself But:
From what I've Read Here, the Winchester Silvertips would be Just What U R Lookin for.
And, If U R Lookin 4 Sumthin a Bit Stouter, Go with the Buffalo Bore Bullets.
UncleSarge58

PS: Good One Golphin. Forgot about Thatun.
US58

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you sure cast lead bullets are verboten. Muzzle loader hunters use them extensively. Up here we are restricted to expanding bullets for hunting as well. This only excludes FMJ.

Shoot a steel plate with your cowboy bullet...guaranteed it will expand somewhat, usually to the size of a silver dollar. The ones I use at 650 fps sure do, if jacked up to 1000 fps or so should do the job on any well hit deer.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My mind wanders off some times. You are looking for a straight answer..does that mean a gay or lesbian answer would would not be acceptable? Sorry, the musings of an old man.

That's how the left would spin that question. The answer would be ...wait for it.. no their answer would not be acceptable if they couched it within their sexual preference.

Old man must go sit down..brain hurts . No more musings for to day.

Ammo should be fine. Just check to make sure the store bought rounds are not over pressuring the breach. You can see the round would be flating the casing.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
What they may be referring to is that armor piercing type bullets are not legal. Any commercially available loads should be acceptable. The down loaded cowboy action loads probably would not be the best choice, but cast bullets, I would think should still be OK with a higher velocity load.
Not familiar with your regulations, so I may be wrong
And welcome to Marlin Owners!!

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The regs simply state that expanding bullets must be used during center fire hunts.
We have the same regs in Missouri. While the state doesn't spell out exactly what they mean by "expanding type," it generally accepted that they exclude only FMJs.
Take one of your cast bullets and shoot it into some wet newspaper or other ballistic media. If it comes out any larger than it went in, you have an "expanding type" bullet. Carry that bullet with you when you go hunting and show it to the game warden if he questions you.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Here's what Missouri says, "Centerfire pistols, revolvers or rifles using expanding-type bullets. Legal ammunition includes lead bullets, copper bullets and bullets made of other material designed to expand." They don't even specifically rule out FMJs by name, but everyone advises against them as they are generally considered to be designed to not expand.
A friend of mine used to hunt deer with his 1895 and cast bullets exclusively. The made about a half inch hole going in and at least a golf ball sized hole going out.

Utah's regs are even more vague,
"R657-5-8. Rifles and Shotguns.

(1) The following rifles and shotguns may be used to take big game:
(a) any rifle firing centerfire cartridges and expanding bullets"

Reactions: KineKilla and BFPGW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked up a box of Hornady Leverevolution 225gr. rounds today. They appear to be hollow points with a poly plug to aid with ballistics.

I'm taking my .270 as well and will be with my son carrying his .243 for the longer shots. I just want to pack the 1894 as a brush, close quarters, quick draw gun...this ought to be good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts