Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a bolt action to use as a trainer for my kids.
I plan to start them out with Super Colibri's then work them up to 22shorts then work them upto 22lr.
I figure if I teach them proper fireams handling now they won't be a statistic in the future.
My three year old can already recite the Eddie Eagle safety tips.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Marlin 15y. is good one to start.. Cricket makes a small one..

See what fits them right.. Some buy fullsize and get extra stock,, cut one down .. and add full stock when there ready.. They will always have the gun and can be passed down to others same way..

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'v got both the crikit & the Marlin 15ys.
For the kids the marlins a bit hefty & my oldest boy, 7, is just now getting to be able to shoot it off hand. From a bench he's fine but its a bit heavy for him yet.
I just got a crikit for my youngest,5, & its quite a bit smaller. they both list similar lengths of pull & the same barrel length. The trouble is the Marlins a full size action & the wood is real blocky. I like it alot tho, & find it a pleasure to shoot.
The crickit's action is about 1/2 to 1/3 as long & makes the gun a good 4" shorter & the woods much slimmer. My 7 year old can put it to his shoulder & fire away no trouble & the 5 year old, while unsteady offhand can hit a coffee can at 25 yards pretty regular & if you sit him down he hits what he's aiming at. Only problem with the crikit is theres no feed ramp, you hafta put the round right in the chamber. Easier done with 5 year old fingers than 38 year old ones. The marlins got a kind of trough that lines up with the chamber, so you can just drop one in & close the action. The Marlin seems more accurate too, tho I havent got a scope on the crikit yet I dont think it will shoot like the Marlin.

I guess in my opinion it depends on how big your kids are. If theyre 8 or 9 or even a big 7 then I'd say get a marlin. If theyre much younger the crikit might be better.

One more thing I like about the crikit is it doesnt cock itself. You need to close the action & pull back the striker. The Marlin ***** when you open it & seems a little less safe for teaching youngsters. If I had it to do over I would get the crickit first. That way I could keep the 15YS :D .
If they made a full size stock for it I'd get another for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For the reply's.
My kids are 12, 9, and 3.
My 3 year old shows the most intrest in shooting. :shock:
So I think it will be a Cricket for him.
I'll have to take the other two in to my local shop and fit them into a rifle.
Any other idea's will be appreciated.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I would make sure they learn to shoot well with open sites before ever talking scope..

·
Registered
957 Posts
Why limit it to a bolt? The little Stevens Favorite is about perfect for what you have in mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leftoverdj said:
Why limit it to a bolt? The little Stevens Favorite is about perfect for what you have in mind.
I have a lever action and a semi auto in 22 lr.
Don't want the distraction of flying brass with the semi.
The lever is hard for them to cycle while sitting at a bench.
I figured the bolt action I can work them up from short upto lr's.
I'm not familiar with the Little Stevens Favorite.
I also thought of a break top single shot but don't know who makes them.

G

·
The best kids size rifle I have seen was at shawnee last year, it was owned by Ty Cob a lovely bolt action single shot,.22 long rifle don,t know the make.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Might want to check out the H&R youth sporter I think they call it. Its a single shot break open action with an exposed hammer. Looks kinda cool but at 5 1/2 lbs might be a bit heavy.

G

·
Taff said:
The best kids size rifle I have seen was at shawnee last year, it was owned by Ty Cob a lovely bolt action single shot,.22 long rifle don,t know the make.
Taff, that was a cricket. It would be perfect for my boys. I also like the fact that you have to load after each shot. It was a little akward for my big fingers, but they wouldn't have a problem with that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Syevens is really pretty. Might get one for myself, seems a little heavy for my lil one.
I was at Wally World with my wife this morning and they had a Davey Cricket rifle for $99, well that was too good to pass up so my kids now have a rifle that they can handle.
I also found out that they have a larger stock for adults.(Daniel Cricket)
Thanks to everyone for the input. It was helpfull in our choice.
Mostly that I can buy a larger stock later on, and that its a single shot, and super light (2 1/2 pounds) My three year old can carry it no problem.
The stock has some kind of safety built into it. You need a special key to unlock it. I like that too.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
buy the stock now.. and put away.. you won't be sorry you did..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts