Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CVA Optima 50cal with BH 209 shooting 100-150yards max. I ran .452 300gr XTP with a smooth sabot a few years ago and it did its job, but I was thinking about switching to a .429 240gr bullet like sierra or something similar to interchange with my 44mag rifle. I keep seeing posts about 44cal XTP losing deer with a muzzleloader so I have stayed away from them.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
300 grain PT Harvester Gold with Crush Rib Sabots and BH 209

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I'd stay with .44 cal bullets intended for handguns, as they are more likely to expand at muzzle loader velocities, either LFP or HP. And a sabot, of course.

The XTP is intended for smokeless powder rifle loads at around 1700-2000 fps. They may not expand as intended at lower velocities.

Reactions: Moleman

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have the same gun. I'm using the Powerbelt Aero

DR

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
300 grain PT Harvester Gold with Crush Rib Sabots and BH 209

I tried several different combos and the 300 Scorpion PT Gold in the crush rib is the best I’ve used.

I killed a big doe and this guy in muzzleloader season. I just ordered 100 bullets and 100 sabots from Harvester.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't like that the .429" 240gr XTP #44200 doesn't open up as much as their older 240gr SJHP in my 8-3/8" smith pistols on a deer. Over a max charge of H110 the recovered bullets from broadside shots never opened up past base dia. Haven't hunted with them in pistols since the mid 90's so they may be better now. Still killed the deer just fine, but figure one that expands and still exits is better. Found enough of the old ones to pistol hunt with to my hearts content. I DO like the 240gr XTP in the my CVA hawken and Knight 93 and in other rifles. Been using them in the ML since first seeing them in the store in 90-91. Use the Black harvester and a .45 250gr in the Savage ML only because 44 bullets aren't recommended by Savage. Completely happy with them otherwise in a rifle. I think it would be rare to find a hunting bullet that someone hasn't had a bad experience with whether it was from poor shot placement or the bullet performance which can vary greatly depending on what it hits.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use a 240 xtp hp in both my rifle and my inline, both loaded to the same velocity. Yet to have a deer go over 30 yards.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have a savage muzzleloader and I use the .452" 250gr XTP bullet in it. My load is over 2200fps according to the chony and it kills very well, and stays together even at close ranges. It's also very accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have had excellent luck with the Federal BOR lock bullets in both the 270 and 350 grain weights.
Shooting from my CVA Accura over 110 grains (volume) of loose 209 I'm getting <MOA accuracy and DRT kills with
super easy loading, nice, easy to feel bullet seating, and zero wiping between shots

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts