Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the forestock (terminology?) on my 336 RC (going to refinish the wood). I've been trying to remove the rear band and the band screw seems to be stripped. I can turn it, but it want back out of the band. Does anyone have any suggestions that I might try to get this screw out? I'm trying real hard not to bugger up the metal. Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind boys, I got her :D I thought the screws were on the end of the screw, but they're up there next to the screw head. I had unscrewed it and just didn't know it. I took a little punch and punched it right out. Oh well, learn something new every day :oops:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Something that has worked for me in similar situations is to gently tap the end of the screw (not the head)with a punch. You can put masking tape over the affected area to lessen the chance of a mark where you don't want it. Tap & turn, tap & turn - an assistant can be useful here. As always, go slowly. Brownell's has replacement screws & bands when you get away from the rifle. SW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate it SW, but I got it. See my post above. You gave me some good ideas though just in case it happens again. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts