Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And not the "Dear Anna" kind. :wink: I have a Marlin 1897T that's giving me fits. This little jewel ejects spent shells like a weak sister. Most spent shells will clear the action by 12" maybe. Sometimes they won't even clear the action and I have to turn the rifle on it's side to shake the empty out. This is becoming a real PITA. I work the action "smartly". I have a 39A and two other variations of the 1897. They all throw emptys 6' with no problem.

I have bent the ejector spring; no help. Today I replaced the entire "Ejector Base Assembly" with all OEM Marlin parts. Still no help.

Anyone have any ideas how to cure this problem? Am I doing something wrong here that I'm missing? I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd take a look at the extractor next. It may have too much clearance between the face of the hook and boltface or the face could have a bad angle on it and cause the cases to hit somewhere inside the reciever before they're kicked out. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Fullchoke,

I had the same exact problem with my 1897T. Now I am no gunsmith but a buddy of mine is pretty sharp and we would SLOWLY open the action with an empty in the chamber and watch what would happen. Even when opened very slowly his 39 would flick the empty sharply out. Mine would just dribble it out. It even perplexed my friend for quite a while. Finally he figured it out that the ejector apparently depends on a sharper edge so that it is held in until that SHARP edge is reached then the spring tension lets it fly smartly out to smack the empty. My 1897T had a bevel to this edge so that as I opened the action, even briskly, it would let the ejector EASE out against the empty.

Upshot of it all is that my friend fixed mine perfectly. Like I said, I am no gunsmith so my terminology may be lacking. Check it out and if you need more detail I will call my buddy so he can help me explain better. It had us absolutely at wits end for a while but when he figured it out the fix was very simple. So hang in there!

Geoff

p.s. We had done just like you and put in a new ejector and a new extractor to no avail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

Just before I posted this question on this forum, I contacted "xxring" at
Martin Custom Guns in OK. He's a gunsmith and maker of custom guns in the finest tradition. His answer parallels what you folks have told me. Odd as it may seem, I sent this rifle back to Marlin last year due to "fail to extract" problems. They reamed the chamber and replaced the extractor.

But with the input from you fine folks, I'll do the fine tuning. Thanks again.
I guess I was trying to this too difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts