Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The barrel has a bulge in it about 1/3 the way down from the muzzle. I've never had a rifle with a bulged barrel and I'm not sure if it would still be safe. I've researched it some, some people say it's fine to still shoot, others say it's not safe. Any advice from some you who have had any experiences with bulged barrels would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lever Man,

I had a 24" 1894 in .45 Colt with a bulged barrel about 10 years ago.

I sent it back to Marlin (history) and they replaced the barrel free.

My bulged barrel didn't seem to be on the inside but rather only on the outside as though it was induced during the machining of the octagon barrel.

YES, mine was accurate.

Slick McClade (Jason Robinson) down in Louisiana can rebarrel that for you. His website is something like:

slicksmagicguns.com

p.s. - I got 2 sets of Ruger Vaqueros that he has put short octagon barrels on. Beautiful work.

..........Widder

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Experience of one. Son in law came by one day while I had a massive gun cleaning in progress. He ran home and brought his Remington 700 .25-06, and left it in the rack of work. When I got to it, the patch, and later the brush, turned loose about 10" from the end of the barrel.

I called him and gave him the "bad news." He said it was that way when he got it (dirt cheap in a pawn shop) and it shot just fine. I had to see for myself. 120 CoreLokt printed a little under an inch. He has taken several nice Texas and Mexico whitetails and a couple of really nice desert mule deer with it. It really does shoot just fine. The bulge is noticeable but not large. In fact I did not notice it instill the cleaning rod told me it was there.

I would shoot it for group and let that decide what you need to do. We perfectionists sometimes make things more complicated than they really are. I'm in recovery.

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Experience of one. Son in law came by one day while I had a massive gun cleaning in progress. He ran home and brought his Remington 700 .25-06, and left it in the rack of work. When I got to it, the patch, and later the brush, turned loose about 10" from the end of the barrel.

I called him and gave him the "bad news." He said it was that way when he got it (dirt cheap in a pawn shop) and it shot just fine. I had to see for myself. 120 CoreLokt printed a little under an inch. He has taken several nice Texas and Mexico whitetails and a couple of really nice desert mule deer with it. It really does shoot just fine. The bulge is noticeable but not large. In fact I did not notice it instill the cleaning rod told me it was there.

I would shoot it for group and let that decide what you need to do. We perfectionists sometimes make things more complicated than they really are. I'm in recovery.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Need A Good Gunsmith To are barrel A Cowboy

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Not just any gunsmith can or will re-barrel a rifle or should you trust any gunsmith with your rifle. Do you have a replacement barrel? If not, one could be difficult to find. If you can't find a replacement, you may have to have one made. If that's the case, contact Rocky Mountain Rifle Works in Lyons Colorado or PM me for Mark's info. Also check out his top quality reline job on my 1889 in the hyphenated section of this forum.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Could it be cut back, and made into a 20" barrel? 20" would be a nice little rifle. It's pretty much messed up the way it is.
That doesn't equate as to where the damage is, so no it wouldn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea, shoot it first. I have a 39A 1952 it's all patina and ratty looking. When I first brought it home found a bulge in bore when I was cleaning it, figured *** is up? Put it on bench with some SV ammo, even with the original buckhorns shot about a 5/8 inch group at 50 yds...totally blew me away how good it shot. Since then have racked up several state championships and national records in NRA Leveraction silhouette with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.