Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am ready to replace my deceased 444. I want a Ballard 1 in 20 twist barrel. Does anyone know for sure what years they were produced? I think 2002 to 2007 is safe, but some seem to indicate that the 444p's were Ballard, but they were made before I believe that the Ballard 1/20 was produced.
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
GM...my "old" 2000 had Ballard rifling shot Levo-evo's real good, but I prefer HC.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Ballard barrels were introduced in 1998. Anything '99+, that hasn't been rebarreled, is guaranteed to have a Ballard barrel.
The Outfitters were introduced in 1999 (and ran through 2002), but you'll find some with serial numbers indicating 1998 production.

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Registered
798 Posts
Several ways to tell. I was told Ballards started into production in July 1998. So one is serial number. Two look at writing on barrel and see if it says microgroove or has a series of stars. All the microgroove say microgroove on the barrel. Third look at rifling. Six grooves is ballard, twelve is microgroove. Microgrooves are 1/38, ballards are 1/20. This is for 444's only, others had different configurations.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
My 444P is Ballard rifling with a 1:20 twist rate, 2000 date, and pretty positive all of them made were the same.

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, Just what i needed. I knew I had read it somewhere on this Forum, but could not find it.
Now... who has one to sell?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts