Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re-loaded a 100 .243 cases last week. Now I was using “Once-fired” cases and I knew that they fitted my chamber perfectly so I though that the most accurate loads would be found by using my “Neck sizing” die.
So I sized the cases and primed them, but just before I loaded them I tried one for size and found that it wouldn’t chamber! In fact non of them would. :shock:
I looked them over and just couldn’t see why, and in the end I had to CARFULLY knock out the primers and full-length re-size all the cases.
The full-length sizer cured the problem and I was able to load up the ammo.
The only thing that I can think of is that when I neck-sized I must have set the die up wrong and caused the shoulder of the case to bulge slightly. The trouble was that with the die set up as instructed, the bullet just fell inside the case and I had to screw it in a bit further to get it to hold.
Just wondered if anyone had any solutions to this, as it seems a bit stupid buying a neck-sizing die and not being able to use it. :roll:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Try using your full length sizing die as a neck sizer (actually partial resizing). Back off your full length sizing die several turns and size a fired case. Turn the die down in steps until you have sized the case to 90 - 95% of the neck length. You can smoke the case to see what is happening. Be sure to stop short of the point where the die touches the case shoulder. Once the proper amount of sizing is determined, lock the die in that position.

Most neck sizing dies are adjusted to just touch a ram up shell holder and then locked. Is this how you adjusted your neck sizer?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a Lee die, and I took the ram up to the die until it just touched and then screwed it in another half a turn. This just didn’t hold and I had to screw it in another half turn just to get it to hold the bullet. That’s when I think I quashed the neck down slightly causing the shoulder to bulge out slightly. It is almost imperceptible, but still enough to prevent the case from chambering.
The manual says that I can polish .001 off the sizer to make it a tighter fit. Just wondered why the didn’t make it fit in the first place.
:roll:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Next time perhaps spend a little more and get a Redding Neck Sizer. I am only familiar with Redding, Lyman and Forster neck sizing dies.

G

·
Tenex, I've not had any luck trying to neck size with a Lee FL die. They sell their collet neck size die for not very much but I would rather have a Redding neck sizing die. BM

Bill

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trouble is it’s not very easy to get the sort of choice that you have, over here. Sure enough you can get Redding dies, but they are @ £80, (that’s @ $147). Even Lee dies are around @ £30 (@ $57) which is bloody expensive compared to American prices. Add to that the price of powders (@ £28 - $51) and it does start to get pretty expensive to reload at times.
Still, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than buying factory ammo, and it is an enjoyable pastime in its own right. :wink:

G

·
Tenex

I agree. That's very high. The only .243 die set I own is the Lee three die set but it has the neck size die in it. Seems to work for me but I have a kinda cheap single shot .243 rifle to shoot it in and wasn't going to spend the extra money for the Redding dies myself. Do they make dies in your country or in Euro land that are a better price for you? How much is a gallon of gas there? Good Luck BM

Bill

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No they don’t make anything over here, it’s all American stuff, which is probably the best stuff anyway so why waste time trying to out-do it.
The price of petrol (gas). You wouldn’t believe it………

Try @ £4.50 a gallon…………that’s @ $8.25 per gallon. :shock:

AND 90% OF IT IS FRIKKIN TAX!!!!!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Tenex said:
The price of petrol (gas). You wouldn’t believe it………

Try @ £4.50 a gallon…………that’s @ $8.25 per gallon. :shock:

AND 90% OF IT IS FRIKKIN TAX!!!!!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
You really mustn't let yourself become so agitated. Calm down. Tell yourself that government doesn't waste tax revenues.....

Now, don't you feel better?

:D :D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snake, that’s very generous of you and I really appreciate the kind thought.
I went to a Game fair a couple of weeks ago, and was able to buy a full length resizing set of Lee dies, so I won’t be buying another set as yet.
http://www.gamefair.co.uk/
I have .222 Rem, .243 Win and .308 Win in rifle calibres, and .357 in pistol calibre (before our glorious El Presidenti Tony B.Liar banned them).
Thanks for the offer though.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And so we do, but our Tony thinks he should be a President. Prat that he is. :roll:

G

·
Tenex, I am a little late getting in on this, but can I make a couple of comments about your original topic? You mentioned about carefully having to knock out the primers before resizing. Unless Lee dies are made differently from Lyman, RCBS, and others, the depriming stem can be removed completely and resized without depriming. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe there is any safety problem with doing that. I assume safety glasses are being worn during all reloading operations and the only thing that MIGHT happen is a primer popping loudly, so hearing protection would take care of that. My other comment is about the primers you knocked out. With the price of other reloading components in England, I would assume you reused the primers. I might suggest you use those cartridges for practice and not for something real important--hunting, competition, etc. If the anvil or any portion of the primer was damaged when carefully removing them, it might not go "bang" everytime.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn’t seem possible to full-length resize with the Lee dies without pushing the primers out, but it was done with great care by just using the weight of the press arm to gently push them out without any damage. None of the primers was deformed in any way, so I think it’s OK to re-use them. I’ll let you know if I have any problems.
The primers are @ £17.00 per K, that’s @ $30.00, so I don’t know whether that’s expensive or if it’s about the same as you pay over there, either way it seems a shame to waste perfectly good primers.
:wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts