Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mosquito-kill-net.com/natural-mosquito-repellants.html

I was first searching a spider repellant and found some links that say peppermint, rosemary, catnip, Avon Skin so Soft, Bounce Fabric Softeners (!), Vic's Vapo-Rub, and vanilla are all good insect repellants.

I hate bug repellant more than I hate mosquitos, black flies, white sox, noseeums, you get the picture. But now I know I don't have to just suffer. The link above is one that summarizes all these choices and more.

G

·
Yes, I've used that Avon skin so soft as mosquito repellant and it works well if you can get past the smell.

Bill

·
Registered
264 Posts
I will also admit trying skin-so-soft. Didn't work here btw in fact it seemed to attract them more. I found out later though the regular stuff mainly works just against chiggars - ticks, used by loggers.
The skeeters were so bad out to old camp they would froth around your boots and up untill payday. If the wind wasn't up your only escape was the west side of the forest where a large field opened up some breese, or 15-20 feet up a tree, and even then some would find you. Wound up getting one of those greenish head nets that makes you look like a bee-keeper, and douching up with deet neck down.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
DEET

You aren't really into bugs if other stuff is working for you.

Try black flies and mosquitos so thick they are swimming in the DEET on your arms and any spot uncovered becomes a bloody, chewed up mess and you will learn to love DEET. And if you have ever been in the thick of no-see-ums you'll know why DEET is still on the market with its potential side effects. If the other stuff actually worked, the DEET would go away from the shelves.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Skin So Soft is the best thing I’ve found for bots on my horses, if you don’t mind your horse smelling like a French whore house (or so I’ve been told, that’s what he smells like; he doesn’t seem to mind, especially when there’s mares in season).
For mosquitoes, there’s nothing like living in high desert. Haven’t seen one in so long, almost forget what they look like.
Memory of time in Michigan, they were so big, one could feel them land and, if one was strong enough, brush them off before they bit

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Since we're now in the "no sniffing, no wood splitting without clenched teeth" season, I guess it is time to ponder the persistence of the bugs over the milleniums. It is only recently that we have had it so good - good chemicals that is. We are only a century or so removed from the natural bug repellents. Some of these included bear grease, mud, smudge smoke -(ahhh the wonderful scent I can recall from my childhood in northern Minnesota where farmers burned peat for the relief it provided their bovine livelyhoods from the bugs!)

Anyway, I suppose if you don't like DEET products you can still use a modern smudge (PIC) or go even stronger (with Buhach). Myself, I went the "get bitten til you no longer react" route. It works for some people with mosquitoes. Then it's just a mind over matter thing so the infernal humming doesn't make you crazy - kind of hard sometimes when there enough of the little buggers on you that you can sense their weight.

Ahhh Alaska, where you wish for cold weather when the bugs are around and you realize when it's cold, and that the bugs aren't such a bad trade-off for a little warmth. Really, you can make a smudge of some of those "punks," the shelve mushrooms (also used for making black-bull) which you find growing on dead standing trees. The ash is only mildy hallucinagenic, as is the smoke, not a bad trade-off for losing the bugs. (And who knows, maybe they're not really gone, but they sure don't seem noticeable.) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took a four hour hike w/ three other girls this morning and brought my Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap spray bottle. We wiped it on our arms and legs, and I really think it worked. Now and then a mosquito would land on me, and I got bit once right below the knee by one of those obnoxious black flies, but we weren't really bothered by the bugs.

They climbed up a rock I was too scared to go up, so I hung around down below and enjoyed the sun for awhile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have heard that vitamin B1 keeps blood suckers away too, but I swear by garlic. I take a (odorless) garlic pill once per day and a B-complex once every two days and I rarely get bit. In fact, it is now June and I haven't got a skeeter bite yet this year. Eat plenty of onions on your salads.

I have noticed over the years too that skeeters will bite more often when I have recently eaten something high in sugar, like cookies or candy or ice cream or cake or watermellon or soda pop. Stay away from that kind of junk - keep the high sugars out of your blood and you won't get chomped on so bad. You won't get fat and slow either. ;) hee hee

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, Oldsmoke, that's interesting. The other day I told two people about Dr. Bronner's and the same two people told me that if you eat bananas you'll attract bugs that bite. I figured diet had something to do with it but the simple idea that eating more sugar is the culprit makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty crazy about onions, although I usually only use garlic if I'm making spaghetti sauce or soup.

Thank God there's no bloodsuckers up here, as far as I know. :shock:

The B-complex idea makes sense too, as i'd heard brewers' yeast (which is high in b-complex vitamins, as well as iron and zinc and some other stuff) makes a good internal flea repellant for dogs and cats. I put it on my cat's dry food every morning and also on my eggs, salad, cereal, or spaghetti . . . ah, heck, I put it in everything I eat except my coffee, okay?

(The bulk flaky real yellow lookin' kind is the kind that tastes good. Been eating it sinceI was 19.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Miss Nomer! :shock: No bloodsuckers?!?!?! I define "bloodsuckers" as any of those nasty vermin that penetrate the skin: mosquitos, tics, horseflies, cowflies, deerflies... but mostly mosquitos.

Sulphur? Hmmm. I've heard that it is sulphur that makes an onion hot, and that onions grown in low sulphur soil are the mildest. Maybe something to that.

I've heard other good things about brewer's yeast too, but I have always taken mine in liquid form. :wink: :D

At any rate, I am confident that the things one puts in the body have a lot to do with susceptibility to insect attack. Sugar = bad. Garlic/onion = good, but you don't have to stink with it (I don't).
Just maintain a healthy blood chemistry without refined sugars and health is better from every perspective.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I was thinking "bloodsuckers" were some kind of leeches that live in ponds or creeks or something.

Well, by that definition, we got plenty of bloodsuckers 'round here!

skeeeters, noseeums, blackflies, white sox, am I forgetting any . . . we used to have alot of horseflies when I was out on Admiralty, but I very rarely see them anymore, at least so close to civilisation.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
jaycocreek said:
I have used alot of Skin So Soft but I give the edge to DR Bronners "Peppermint Soap"..They hate it.

Jayco
Where might one find this??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where I live, one of the local drugstores as well as the health food section of our Fred Meyer store carries it, but not all of the grocery stores. It's pretty popular and shouldn't be too hard to find.

Dr. Bronner's also makes lavendar, eucalyptus, and one or two other "flavors" besides peppermint, but the peppermint flavor has proven its worth as a bug repellant. It seems expensive to buy at first, but you can dilute it a whole lot. (It gives suggestions for this on the bottle.) I have used it for my floors and regular cleaning except for dishes for years, but didn't know it was an insect repellant. Also, you can add a squirt to your laundry before washing to freshen it up. It adds a pleasant feeling to housecleaning, giving the room a minty fresh smell. I have even put some into rug shampooers and it works great, although you don't want to put it in too heavy as it DOES like to suds up.

It's plain, "unchemicalized" castile soap, is all it is. There's lotsa fine print on the bottle if you're ever stuck without a book and wanna test your eyesight . . . but nothing that would kill you not to know <<<LOL!>>>

In the hippie days I hear some people even brushed their teeth with it, but, it's SOAP!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Man I went to the gravel pit this morning to do some shooting and I was covered in DEET. The clouds of mosquitos still drove me half mad.

In real mosquito country you have three choices:

1) Bug suit or head net
2) DEET
3) Dead or Insane

·
Registered
546 Posts
Miss Nomer,
What does Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap look like?
Haven't found it out here, but it would help if I knew what I was looking for. For my friends to try, who haven't come to terms with living in desert and have thus made mosquito habitat of their yard.
Mosquitos eat them alive, but don't bother me. They used to love my blood, wondering what has changed? Maybe the vitimans I'm taking; B complex and iron and zinc. No so much the content as the digestability of the ones I take now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My attempt to get a pic of the bottle did not work. It looks like the bottle below, only dark blue label with white lettering. Comes in different sizes.

Here's all about Dr. Bronner's Soaps:
http://www.drbronner.com/soaps.html

Dr. Bronner's Story:
http://www.drbronner.com/story.html

This gal says the Eucalyptus soap is a great insect repellant. Maybe either / or works!

http://users.resist.ca/~kirstena/pagedrbronners.html
One interesting use for Bronner's eucalyptus soap that I do not believe I ever saw him mention on his bottles is the use of it as an insect repellent. I have found that if you bathe with Bronner's eucalyptus soap before going camping, less bugs will bite you. And using it throughout the trip, works to renew the repellent oils. You can also just dab Bronner's eucalyptus soap onto your skin, and old clothing you do not mind getting oil stains on, as a repellent. This is nice for kids as well. I have washed my hair in eucalyptus Bronner's soap as a help to ward off mosquitoes. We have also washed animals, such as cats and dogs, in Bronner's eucalyptus soap as a flea and tick repellent."

The Dr. Bronner's soap bottles are infamous for being filled with words of wisdom, well, maybe not ALL wisdom, but filled with words. As a mid-40's person who is now experiencing far-sightedness to help complement my near-sightedness :shock:

. . . I am posting below a link to what the Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap bottle says on the bottle, since when you finally find yourself a bottle you'll want to spend a few hours reading what it says.

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Spritz-yule/bronner.html

Let me know if you come up with a store that sells it.

ps. I don't read all this stuff, I just use the soap!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks. Now I have something to read when I can’t sleep. I’ll mention it if I find Dr. Bronner’s out here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts