Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have used several types of hollowpoints including the xtp, speer gold dot and deep curl, barnes , flex tips , and winchester silver tip.

now it seems that my 1894 shoots the cast performance 300 gr bullets very well( 1.5 inches at 100 yds 5 shots) and i would like to get a good hollowpoint load as well. any sugestions? thanks

anyone used these ?
http://www.customprojectile.com/44-Caliber-Manstopper-225-grain_p_45.html

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
What do you want to use them for? Given their shape it might not feed into the chamber as nice as other more conventional shaped bullets.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mostly bowling pins. i have about ten pins set up at the range and really like it when they explode. the 44 rifle seems to do a better job than even the 223 rifles that show up.

i am really looking for members experience with different hollowpoints. like i said i have shot several different types and was looking to hear from others that may have different experience.

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
Bowling pins are alot of fun to shoot. 223's zip right thru them but slow heavy bullets tear them up. I dont have much experience with hollow points though. I shoot them with cast & JSP's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup they are fun! like i was saying i have a really good load with cast performance 300 grain gas check bullet. really does a number on teh pins. the thing i am looking for is the explosive expansion of the bullet. the goal is to send the insides of the pin all over the range. think throwing a handfull of pine splinters downrange.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Are you transferring your pent up hostilities to bowling pin? You should seek professional help.

On a more serious note, I think cast hollow point bullet will be hard to find. The wide meplat cast does the same thing as a hollow point.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use 18.5 grains of Alliant 2400 behind a 240XTP. Measured muzzle velocity at 1543ft/sec. out of a 20" 1894. Never tried the load on bowling pins, but it expodes a one gallon milk jug, filled with water, beautifully.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What did the bowling pins do to you???

i have used the deep curl in my 357 and the XTP in both 240 and 300g in my 44 with no function problems, just never shot a bowling pin with them. The 300g XTP just wont group for me.
CF

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I used to shoot bowling pins with 45 cal hardball ammo out of a 1911 that my buddy owned. It would tear the pins up pretty well. I'm thinking a 44 mag with hollowpoints wouldn't allow you to shoot the pins very long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am one of the range officers for the local range and sunday night when we close i replace beat up pins(hanging at 15,25 and 50yds). rather than throwing those pins away when there is still some good use in them i shoot them with the nastiest load i can get my hands on really finishing them off. usually only the vinal shell is left.

really takes the edge off after dealing with armed morons all weekend.

basic gunsafety would fix several of my re occuring problems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use the Hornady XTP 240 grain bullet in my 1984 444 mag for deer hunting. My loads have 20 grains of alliant 2400 in them and I can get 1" to 1.5" groups with them at 100 yards using a scope. They really do a number on a deer, every deer I have shot with them has fallen down at point of impact, some have gotten back up and run a short distance but most don't. The xtp's feed flawlessly in my 1894's. Hope this helps. Dan

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
I'm not sure what I'd expect out of a HP on what is essentially a hunk of hardwood. Might be anticlimactic since theres no hydrolic action going on to open them up violently. But I could well be wrong.
We shot them on the backstop mostly. Our range has a short 3' berm protecting an old rail target track & then the backstop (hillside). That means that alot of them roll into the gully between them & similar to what you do I collect them near the end of the day for my own use. I try to hit them in the head, if their still solid & you get a solid hit up there sometimes they get sent flying & you can chase them around if your quick enough. Alot more fun than rolling bowling balls at them IMO. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The Rem 240gr JSP's are devastating on pins when launched out of my 444. Shot into a "worn out" pin at 50 yds, it sent chunks of plastic and wood in every direction, including upwards. 8) There wasn't any wood left inside the plastic shell after that shot. ;)

I'd think they would be pretty dramatic in a .44 mag carbine too.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Leverdude said:
Alot more fun than rolling bowling balls at them IMO. ;D
And a LOT more satisfying! ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a tool for my cast 41 mags (that unfortunately does not have any mfg. stamp on it) that slips over the bullet end of the cartridge and will drill out the center creating a hollow point tip from a solid. It is a two piece tool nicely machined and is very accurate centering. I bought it off a table at a gun show years ago so sorry to say I can't say who made it, but if it was made for a 41 mag. it's hard to believe they did not make them in 44. Hope this gives you a lead or a creative idea in solving your
challenge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They seem like GIMMICK bullets to me, just like the glow in the dark bullets that they sell! IMO, with a .44 cal bullet, you dont need hollow points unless your trying to use the gun as a home defense. A rifle is probably not the best choice for that due to OVER PENETRATION. I load 240 grn LRNFP bullets and keep them at a modest 1500 fps with my 1894 Marlin. I havent shot one deer that didnt go straight down. SHOT PLACEMENT is the key. Any .44 cal bullet will bleed them out and do all the damage needed. If your lookin for self defence, use any 180 grn bullet and keep the velocity at the .44 spc level.

Check these out.

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=101&category=5&secondary=12&keywords=

·
Registered
320 Posts
Whole different league. Do you rent shoes at your range? ;D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Very impressive jacketed hollow points...at $38.50 per 100...I'm too cheap for that kind of fun.

If you go to castboolits.gunloads and the group buy section, Mihec aka mp-moulds.com has a 44 hollow base full wadcutter mould that will be produced in the near future. Turn them around and use them in the same manner as the ones you posted about. They probably won't feed worth a d*** in a rifle, but they sure are accurate in my VAQUEROS...I have a LEE 200 grain full wadcutter and a 250 grain clone of LYMAN 429352 that I shoot a lot of.

Hollow points look impressive, but I don't think they are worth the effort in some moulds. Mihec uses the cramer system and you can cast GOOD bullets with his mould as quickly as with a plain base.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whole different league. Do you rent shoes at your range

wow two puns in the same sentence!

and no shoes yet. when there is a gun that can shoot bowling balls at pins i will rent the shoes you need then.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts