Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own two Winchester Model 94 Pre 64 30-30's. Those of you that own a model 94 know that it has long, thin slotted straight screws on the receiver and other places on the rifle.

I have been searching for a gunsmith screw driver set that will fit the model 94 screws. I found this set on Brownell's website, it says that it is great for the Model 94. Does anyone
have this set? I am curious if its a quality set. Any input would be appreciated.

MAGNA-TIP® THIN-BIT SET | Brownells

Thanks!

Mike T.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
There are two variables with a gunsmith screw driver. One is the thinness or thickness of the blade, the other is the width of the blade.

Working gunsmiths will have dozens and dozens of screwdriver and still grind one to fit the screw exactly. The hollow ground sets such as the one you reference can and also may need to be ground to fit exactly. The hollow ground sets fit the screw heads better than the hardware store wedge blades. The idea is that the blade is to be either hollow ground so it grabs the screw at the deep part of the slot cut, or parallel, and the same width as the screw slot.

If it doesn't fit exactly, it will bugger the screw heads. If you want to know about that set for sure, call Brownell's and ask them.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I got a set from Brownell's specifically for a Winchester Pre-'64 Model 94, but it is not as fancy as the one you have posted. I believe there is only about 4 Bits in the package but it is supposed to handle every screw slot the gun has.

Bill

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks youn guys, I knew I could count on you. Other than the GRACE USA that Mark just posted a link for me to check out, most of the tools I've been seeing on-line are cheesy. That set that I posted a link too was specifically designed for the Model 94. The reason I asked, is I am not familar with Brownell.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Mike, I second the recommendation for Grace. Give them a call, and tell them what you need. They will put together a set of the finest screwdrivers you will ever own.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Ditto on Grace tools. But you can also feel confident dealing with Brownells. They have been in the gunsmith business for a long time and offer both quality tools and parts as well as terrific technical customer service.

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
I also have the GRACE set of screwdrivers - a Christmas present years ago from one of my hunting buddies. I later found there is also a MARLIN SPECIFIC set of screwdrivers. Not really sure what the difference it, but I'll bet Brownells knows. They are trusted folks! I've got a book on Gunsmithing Kinks written by Bob Brownell and it is full of tricks of the trade as well as funny stories and pics.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have had that "thin" blade kit from Brownells for a couple of years now. Like most every thing Brownells sells, they are great. I had several ground, re ground, broken etc screwdrivers for many years, and bought several handles and blades from Brownells about 5 years back. I prefer the clip handle, rather than the magnetic ones, but use both. Before the thin set came out, I just ground the standard tips to fit.

Truth be told, the pre 64 screws were about typical for the day. they are FAR from being super thin. If ya want too see thin, look at a Belgian Browning Super posed, or maybe a Merkel, or older Italian guns, and then you will have to be grinding on some of the thin set blades from Brownell.

Screw slots have been getting thicker than a book keepers backside the past few years. Even Brownells "standard" set are often too thin for the newer guns.

Screw drivers are generally made to work on chevys, and lawn mowers, thus the move to thicker slots, as a lot of guns are using cheaper hard ware style screws rather than an actual "gun screw".

After using Brownells blades for around 30 years now, I will testify they are heat treated with the best, not too hard, not too soft. And if you wish to return a broken one, they send you a replacement. Considering the time and postage, no one should call themselves a gun smith, if they cant regrind a broken screwdriver but they do guarantee them, with the rare exception of one or two the very smallest tips.

Reactions: miket156

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks RGR, great testimony for Brownell. I tried to order a set and found they were on backorder. They have the larger sets, but they would run up the tab. I'm not in a huge hurry and there are other things they carry that I need too. Starting from scratch gets expensive, especially with no job right now. I hate that! So many nice toys at the Range today!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another plug for the Brownell's Thin Bit Set. I don't have a 94, so can't say whether it works for those screws or not, but I've had my set for years and have used it extensively on all kinds of guns. I have some of their handles as well--generally prefer the mid-sized handles over the long or the short ones.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
First off your Winchesters are 30WCF not 30-30 :ahhhhh:

Secondly the Grace Marlin set works wonders on on Winnie 94s

·
Registered
27 Posts
where do you get the screwdriver to remove and install the feed rails on the pre64 94. i got one side out but need to remove the other side. then reinstall them too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts