Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Can they feel that? Are there blood vessels in there?
The blood vessels are in the velvet, once shed there are no blood vessels in the antler. If you watch them with thermal equipment of any nature, you'll see horns right up to the point they start shedding velvet. Blood flow will cease about the time they start shedding, and horns disappear in your thermal. Biggest buck you've got can be 15 yards in front of you on a dark night, and you won't know he has a horn looking through thermal. So, no... No blood flow what so ever in the antler once developed.

Not trying to hi-jack, I'm coming to you guys because You all hunt more than anyone else I know.
I have a rack on the wall. I didn't take it, it came from someone else in the family.
I got it without any information.
I would love to know first, what it came from, I know it isn't white tail.
And, what causes a rack to be perfect on one side, and totally misshapen on the other. Was the deer sick?

View attachment 858935

Young Elk, maybe their European cousin the Red Stag. Not really all that misshapen for either of those species.

·
Registered
706 Posts
He must have been fighting. Or rubbing that velvet like a mad man. Here he is at 8:13 PM.

And a little more than 3 hours later.

I'm going to go out and see if that tip fell off anywhere nearby.

Looks more like battle scars to me, not like he was rubbing velvet off on a tree someplace.

Here in North Florida most have already shed their velvet, necks are starting to swell, and they've been roaming for a couple weeks now. Regulars will disappear for a couple days at a time, which isn't altogether unusual, but you'll start seeing visitors popping up left and right. I've had 7 - 8 new bucks show up over the last 2-3 weeks. Be here a night or two, then disappear. Nothing interesting, yet, but they've started moving.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Antlers have some sort of "feeling" when they are in velvet. When I worked at a zoo, we had several deer species. None of them would tolerate to much touching their antlers when in velvet. FWIW, I never saw any sparring until after velvet was gone. The antlers are not truly hardened until after shedding the velvet. I think the antlers get harder as they dry and rubbing helps polish them, smoothing off places where fractures may occur.

I have witnessed deer break antlers when frightened and they go crashing through the woods, breaking off tines and even a main beam as they go. I have found broken pieces of antlers from deer and elk around scrapes, also.

The whitetail buck I got last year probably broke his main beam at a similar time in its growth. The broken edge was rounded off from lots of rubbing after it broke.

They do often break tines and main beams in battle. These fights can be quite violent. My wife and I just missed an epic elk battle on her cow elk hunt. We saw the dust and heard the noise. By the time we got near it was over. There were uprooted trees, hair, blood and broken antlers everywhere. I picked up four broken tines and a section of main beam.

Mike, I agree with Rocky. That looks like a North American elk or European/Asian cousin. It is most likely a young bull 2-4 years old, inferior genetics or a result of poor nutrition. Possibly a combination of all of them? Despite all the media hype of bull elk with massive horns, the majority of elk have horns similar to this size.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Thanks!! All my hunter friends keep telling me"Can't be Elk! At 29" they are too small!"

·
Registered
706 Posts
You could always Photoshop some small elk next to someone's dog, or a sheep, or a goat, or something, and make up a miniature elk herd to discuss at length, over much beer, for entertainment purposes. I made up a big-foot photo on one of my stands, that I had sent several pictures from, for a neighbor's wife.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There was an interesting mount that I remember seeing at the Raleigh Dixie Deer Classic where two bucks were fighting and a third buck joined in but he got flipped over locking the antlers and all 3 eventually starved to death as they couldn’t get apart. That’s what love will do to you if you’re not careful. I used to go to the show every year but I don’t hunt any longer plus the last time I went there were hardly any vendors, everyone was selling raffle tickets.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks!! All my hunter friends keep telling me"Can't be Elk! At 29" they are too small!"
Rectangle Wood Beige Bumper Automotive exterior

If you look closely, there is a scale on the cooler lid. This one is about 28", maybe 29" if you follow the main beam arc. This main beam may be a little heavier than yours, but on yours the first and second tines might be a little longer and yours has thirds.

This shed is from a Rocky Mountain elk. Most likely 2 or 3 years old. Despite a few record book elk being taken in this area, this is more typical.

Elk Gesture Wood Fawn Art

This elk was taken not far from where the shed was found. One main beam and only three tines are not broken. His body was huge. I took 389 pounds of meat (no bone) to the butcher. His non-broken main beam is 31".

I don't know what it sounds like when antler in velvet breaks, but dried antler sounds like gunshots when they break.

Reactions: rocky1

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Broken antler buck has a lump that seems to be getting bigger. Doesn't appear to be any sign of injury there. Who knows what it is.

Maybe this is his sparring partner. \They showed up in a couple of pics together.

And an incidental nocturnal visitor. I've seen this guy pretty frequently.

Reactions: Darkcloud

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its weird but if a deer gets a leg banged up the horns on the opposite side will deform and not grow uniformly. And then there’s genetics. Some whitetail deer’s horns don’t develop, once a spike always a spike because daddy was a spike. Just guessing but my wag is elk antlers.
Wood Art Plant Creative arts Metal
This guy had a back leg missing at the knee. I watched him quite a bit early in the year. He was clearing fences just fine with only one back leg. Left the house on the last day of season with a tag to fill. I said I would shoot the first buck I saw. This is what I came home with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It was, but by a thread. I figured it might have fallen off nearby but I didn't see it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm inclined to believe the lump is a puncture wound that is infected, once it drains, he'll be fine. Also OP I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor, regarding my first reply. It always blows my mind when you tell someone you've lost something and they ask, "where did you lose it at", duh it wouldn't be lost if I knew that.

Tim

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have a rule of thumb, I always look in at least 10 different places before I decide to look where I lost something. I once tried to look where I lost something first, and then in 10 different places, and that doesn't work as good as it sounds.

Reactions: Darkcloud
21 - 34 of 34 Posts