Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He must have been fighting. Or rubbing that velvet like a mad man. Here he is at 8:13 PM.

And a little more than 3 hours later.

I'm going to go out and see if that tip fell off anywhere nearby.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Can they feel that? Are there blood vessels in there?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can they feel that? Are there blood vessels in there?
This time of year, probably not. it’s my understanding that there are blood vessels running through the velvet skin. once the antler is finished growing for the season, it will harden and the velvet will dry out. I don’t recall if cutting off the blood flow initiates the final step, or if it is simply a result of the antler hardening.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Saw 5 deer come out of the woods this afternoon while my son and I were clearing our property. We had stopped and were resting when they popped out into the bean field. One was a buck. Time to set up a stand or two.

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
Sky Ecoregion Deer Elk Plant

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Fence

Plant Elk Nature Natural environment Natural material

Plant Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon Fawn Grass

That buck in the last pic has a main beam broke now. The one in the first pic is got some age on him. I saw him 3 years ago and he was pretty impressive then. I dont know where hes been holding up all this time but its odd he showed back up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice deer but its a shame they’ve boogered up their racks. My son set up some cameras but we’re just seeing fox squirrels, coyotes, does and raccoons so far. Only owned the 33 acres for 4 months so we don’t really know whats on it or passing through. Was neat seeing the small buck today. If there are small ones then there are big ones. And as it buts up to some swampy acreage there might be a nice one hanging around.

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
Nice deer but its a shame they’ve boogered up their racks. My son set up some cameras but we’re just seeing fox squirrels, coyotes, does and raccoons so far. Only owned the 33 acres for 4 months so we don’t really know whats on it or passing through. Was neat seeing the small buck today. If there are small ones then there are big ones. And as it buts up to some swampy acreage there might be a nice one hanging around.
well, I look at it like this, it’s nice to take a buck with a real symmetrical rack, and I have several on the wall, but if I get one with broke up antlers that’s okay too. They’re wild and the rut can be a real battle if it’s competitive enough. That just means there are a lot of bucks in the area, which is a good thing for us.
I recall a hunt years ago I had a buck come out with a really nice antler on one side, the other broke completely off, and I passed on him. I always wish now I hadn’t.
I don’t know if you’re allowed to feed corn where you are but it works.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack, I'm coming to you guys because You all hunt more than anyone else I know.
I have a rack on the wall. I didn't take it, it came from someone else in the family.
I got it without any information.
I would love to know first, what it came from, I know it isn't white tail.
And, what causes a rack to be perfect on one side, and totally misshapen on the other. Was the deer sick?

Plant Light Purple Lighting Twig

Reactions: 10Glocks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Its weird but if a deer gets a leg banged up the horns on the opposite side will deform and not grow uniformly. And then there’s genetics. Some whitetail deer’s horns don’t develop, once a spike always a spike because daddy was a spike. Just guessing but my wag is elk antlers.

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack, I'm coming to you guys because You all hunt more than anyone else I know.
I have a rack on the wall. I didn't take it, it came from someone else in the family.
I got it without any information.
I would love to know first, what it came from, I know it isn't white tail.
And, what causes a rack to be perfect on one side, and totally misshapen on the other. Was the deer sick?

View attachment 858935

looks like a young Caribou

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
Sometimes these bucks get a bit feisty and you end up with less bone on the wall, this was my worst case of it. I called him the old warrior. Just like @northmn said, my first thoughts is what kinda looking buck mistreated this one View attachment 858757

i dont care about the broke tines, man thats a nice one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts