Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt at refurbishing a gun. Its a Marlin-Glenfield 36G. When I got it I soon realized it was in worse shape than I thought and knew I had to try to improve on it. First off it had the wrong wood, pressed checkering. Not only that but the forearm was older and the stock was newer! Second someone had used a coal chisel to work on the rear sight. It was bent and the barrel was dinged up real good. The bluing was thin on the usual places mostly around the front sight. the reciever looked real nice. So the perfect gun to try to refinish or refurbish. First off my I had my wife look for plain birch stocks on e-bay. Soon she found a set and I was getting busy. I used Eli Chaps thread http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,78535.0.html to the letter! Great but I used Minwax antique oil finish to finish. Here are some before and after pics.

note the stocks didn't match, and were wrong too.

Here are the new stocks,ruff shape too. Also I believe they should have a perchbelly forearm too.

Here is the almost finished gun. 9 coats of finish over 2 coats of red chestnut stain.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran out of room. I touched up the bluing with a product called Wondeblue. The bluing now looks new not sure how it will hold up. I did'nt do anything to the reciever. Next I will mount a scope to see how it shoots . If it shoots as good as I hope the scope comes off and a Skinner peep goes on ! I made some mistakes but over all I am pleased with how it turned out. Honest opinions only please!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eli, Your thread was great! I bet I read that thing 50 times and picked up something each time. Especially about taking your time and using sanding blocks. The last thing I wanted to do was round the edges around the tang. I have a walnut stock with checkering maybe next! By the way I looking forward to your latest project. thanks again for your help and ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there CITYSLICKER1 -- Way to go dude! Where did you find your magic fence post? Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Good work ... looks really nice to me. Erik has helped many members here with their projects by using his detailed step by step instructions and pictures.

bjm

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
You said to be honest.........That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen, if I were you I'd get rid of it as soon as possible.........Tell ya what ....I'll PM you my address so you can send it to me......just so ya never have to look at it again ;D

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Are you sure the bluing you used isn't called Blue Wonder?

·
Registered
363 Posts
CITYSLICKER1 said:
HAHA! you are right! Blue Wonder. Has any body else used it? See...told you I made a few mistakes.
Yes, I have used it. Very satsified with the results when I have, too.

Your rifle looks really nice. Great job!!!

T-C

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Lookin real good! Everyone is finding good Glenfields but me :'(. Someday I'll find one, I'm sure :-\ ;D DP

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
CITYSLICKER1 you did a fine job on that rifle and you should be very proud!!!Now its got your own personal touch!!Very nice indeed my friend!!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
That wood grain really stands out now :). I would say you did a very good job for your first project gun. I see many more in your future ;D, Lonnie.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Excellent job! I kind of like the color too.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody for the kind words. I really enjoyed fixing this gun up and it really wasn't that hard. Just take your time. Now waiting for some rings to mount a scope and try it out. Scott

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I was set up at a gun show this last weekend and a neary mint Glenfield came by. A "G" as above. It was 275.00 firm. I was only about 200.00 shy at that moment. The dealer behind me offered to spot me until something sold, but I declined. I don't do guns on credit. It sure was a nice rifle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts