Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
She knew my buddy was coming by for a beer last night. She is a teacher and had graduation to attend to last night so she was gone when he got here. I told her this morning over coffee. She said " oh nice" and "what am I getting for my 50th?" Like a smart ass I said probably a classic double barrel shotgun.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
do like I do, tell her you got them for her! when she says, are you crazy? I don't want those guns! say GOOD! I WILL TAKE THEM!,,,,,,,,,,,what kind of scope is on the savage?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Nice purchase! I have always liked the Savage 99, but never owned one. Looks like you have a beauty! I had a US Forest Service buddy back in the early 1960s who carried a Savage 99 in Savage 300 caliber when we hunted deer together. He was deadly with it. Great rifles! Good hunting!

CJ

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
that's right Gareth!

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
nice snag ,good friend!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Man, a pre-64 Win in .32 special, I would love to find one of those. And that one looks nice. Bonus old peep too. Great find.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Just tell your wife it's no different than buying 2 new purses on sale ......................

Reactions: F150Grrl

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
So my buddy has been helping a widow liquidate her late husbands gun closet. For the last year I have listen to him talk about a Savage 99. Hes not a fan of lever guns but knows I am. So he finally got his hands on it and brought it by the house today. Its a pristine 1957 Savage 99F in .308. Sold as soon as I saw it in the driveway. Then he pulls out a 1950 WInchester 94 in 32 Special complete with a steel Lyman peep sight. I bough them both. I took a couple of quick pictures that dont do either rifle justice.
View attachment 760153 View attachment 760155 View attachment 760157 View attachment 760159
The 99 has a classic Redfield Bear Cub 1.75x20 scope. A couple of real classic Maine woods guns. Ill post more pictures when I have time and let you know how they shoot!
phwebster,

Sounds like your's is like mine. They both have a barrel count!

It is all about trading up these days. Just sold a Win 1892 25-20 mfg 1896. I got what I wanted through GB. Now that I have some extra coin to apply toward some new things I can shoot more frequently I am hunting again. Late 60's to early 70's S&W 25-2 seems to keep popping up these days. What a great bulls eye revolver.

Nice acquisitions there. I hope they perform as good as they look.

Reactions: phwebster

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
webster , play the sympathy card You were just trying to help a little old widow woman. By the way very nice rifles.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
what I would do is sell some other unused stuff around the house and get her some new diamond something or other and all will be well on the Homefront. the women in my life were always satisfactorily dazzled when I brought them home stuff made of gold with diamonds. my next wife will have a passion for shooting guns, ive learned from past mistakes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
All good advice guys! Truth is she is awesome about my firearm obsession and the constant trading and selling. Her hobby is horseback riding so things certainly even out. However she does continue to bring up the new Triumph motorcycle I bought last summer. I thinks thats going to cost me buying her a new car.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Alot of game has been put in the freezer in the state of Maine by those two fine models over the years, Classic Notheast whitetail rifles.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Very nice rifles! You are lucky to have a friend like that.
I am lucky that my significant other doesn't mind (too much)
when I find the good ones before he does.

Reactions: phwebster
21 - 40 of 41 Posts