Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy has been helping a widow liquidate her late husbands gun closet. For the last year I have listen to him talk about a Savage 99. Hes not a fan of lever guns but knows I am. So he finally got his hands on it and brought it by the house today. Its a pristine 1957 Savage 99F in .308. Sold as soon as I saw it in the driveway. Then he pulls out a 1950 WInchester 94 in 32 Special complete with a steel Lyman peep sight. I bough them both. I took a couple of quick pictures that dont do either rifle justice.
IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1036.JPG
The 99 has a classic Redfield Bear Cub 1.75x20 scope. A couple of real classic Maine woods guns. Ill post more pictures when I have time and let you know how they shoot!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Very nice. So take the wife shooting...maybe she'll forgive you if you let her out-shoot you :smile:

redahwk

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Once I explained to my wife that we can always get at least what we paid for them and.... if SHTF, guns and ammo will be the new currency, she became a supporter of my sickness. :biggrin:

Congratulations on your new acquisitions. Those are two of my favorites.

T.S.

·
Read Only
1,036 Posts
So my buddy has been helping a widow liquidate her late husbands gun closet. For the last year I have listen to him talk about a Savage 99. Hes not a fan of lever guns but knows I am. So he finally got his hands on it and brought it by the house today. Its a pristine 1957 Savage 99F in .308. Sold as soon as I saw it in the driveway. Then he pulls out a 1950 WInchester 94 in 32 Special complete with a steel Lyman peep sight. I bough them both. I took a couple of quick pictures that dont do either rifle justice.
View attachment 760153 View attachment 760155 View attachment 760157 View attachment 760159
The 99 has a classic Redfield Bear Cub 1.75x20 scope. A couple of real classic Maine woods guns. Ill post more pictures when I have time and let you know how they
shoot!
ph,

sounds like they are still in good hands and should stay in high quality condition! Consider yourself lucky. If you do not play some of the SN combo's in the next Lotto, your loss.

·
Registered
19,685 Posts
ph,

sounds like they are still in good hands and should stay in high quality condition! Consider yourself lucky. If you do not play some of the SN combo's in the next Lotto, your loss.
Was thinkin' somethin' along the same lines...that how lucky the previous owner is (death aside) that his rifles are now in the hands of someone that will take care of them as he did and unfortunately, he didn't have someone to hand them down to! Congrats on your new rifles!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
241 Posts
My wife would have been mad too, because I would have bought both of them also. Congrats on two superb rilfles!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The Savage 99F is as close to perfection in a powerful lever carry rifle as a person can get, and yours is one of the cleanest out there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the compliments. I couldnt be happier. 99's in decent shape are getting harder and harder to find. I cant believe how light and petite this 99 is. Its only the second 99 I have owned and my first one was a much heavier and bulkier 300 Savage with a counter that wasnt brass. I sold it along time ago and have had a 99 on bucket list for a while. This one is a true featherweight with a slim barrel contours and thin forearm along with a trim but stock. My wife is actually pretty understanding and supportive of my hobby. She may roll her eyes but will not say a word. Besides I have been looking for a gun to purchase for my 50th birthday present to myself and lets call the 32 Special my fathers day present.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts