Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I purchased a piece of property in S.C. on Lake Russell back in 2007. I wanted to put a camper on that property from the get go, but I was interested in keeping my marriage intact, so I would just primitive camp there.
So, jump ahead 12 years and a bunch of time searching for a good, trustworthy contractor, and I finally have a place going up.
It is just a 24X24 garage with a studio apartment above, but it will be a secluded, quiet vacation destination.
I plan on keeping a UTV and a small Lund boat stored there, just so I don't have to drive 850 miles, one way, while towing a boat.
Here are a few photos of the place before the plumbing and electric were installed this week.

IMG_1197.jpeg IMG_1199.jpeg IMG_1196.jpeg IMG_1198.jpeg IMG_1200.jpeg
We opted for only to windows and the stairwell being inside the garage for security reasons. I will install lockable steel shutters to secure the windows from ladder entry when nobody is staying there.
The gambrel roof allowed the largest amount of living space without the added cost of a full second story.
I asked a question awhile ago about the cost of well drilling. Due to the cost associated with well drilling, I chose to pay a set amount that covers drilling until a good source of water is achieved. Most of the geology in this area is granite and I did not want to get hit with charges for having to drill further or longer than expected.
The permit issuing was an absolute hassle and took months to complete. The steps were as follows.
1: Apply for septic permit
2: Have perk test done.
3: Be issued septic permit.
4: Apply for building permit with septic permit in hand.
5: Apply to electric company for power, by providing building permit.
6: Have electric meter installed and inspected before electric lines will be run.
The nearest electric line ends about 3/4 mile before my property. Because this building is considered a home, the electric company runs the power to the property line free of charge.
If anyone else is looking to do something like this in SC and have questions, let me know. Maybe I can give you an answer from my experience.
Andrew

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Andrew, around here they are spraying in foam insulation. The folks I have talked to said it really helped with the electric bill.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Very nice, as you already know Lake Russell is fairly new as a lake 1983-84 I think. But since the corps of engineers built the project they also established a 300ft buffer all the way around the lake from the high water mark so no one could build right up to the shoreline. That was one of the best things that could have happened. Unlike the santee cooper lakes in my part of the state. Here they build right up to the shore.

·
Registered
460 Posts
do you have septic system in yet ? purdue university has information where your septic field is a rectangle area dug 2 feet deep with a rubber liner with a pipe coming from your holding tank coming in one end and a pipe going out the other end, the rubber liner is filled up with gravel then marsh vegitation is planted, the water leaving is suppose to be clean, i have a cabin in michigans U P but it gets to cold up there for it to work.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks like some quality construction and that is coming from one who was in the trade for fifty years. One? Where is the chimney for a wood stove to heat the place during hunting season?
The apartment will be heated and cooled by one of those heater/AC units. The SC hunting season I see still much warmer than what I am use to here in Wisconsin. I probably wouldn't turn on the heat unless it got into the low 30's.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice, as you already know Lake Russell is fairly new as a lake 1983-84 I think. But since the corps of engineers built the project they also established a 300ft buffer all the way around the lake from the high water mark so no one could build right up to the shoreline. That was one of the best things that could have happened. Unlike the santee cooper lakes in my part of the state. Here they build right up to the shore.
The boat ramp is just a minute walk from the garage. The lake looks like one that would be a fly in, in northern Ontario. That is with the exception of the red dirt and rock.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That should work nicely. Looks like quality construction. A word of caution, leaving the boat and 4 wheeler in that structure could be an issue unless you have neighbors to look after it for you. Friends have had them stolen from homes not attended.
V
I paid only $550 for the small Lund with a 1988 Mercury 9.9hp. If it gets stolen, that will be the least of the things I would worry about. The UTV or a lawn tractor is there just to tow the boat to the launch. Again, it won't be an expensive piece of equipment.
My nearest neighbor is a mile away, but I will ask the county sheriff to do a check on the place on a regular basis.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The spray foam mike is talking about,is good stuff. My brother in-law sprays it for a living, did my dad's barn with it and it's usually 10-12 degrees nicer in the barn than outside. That's no heat or ac

1 - 20 of 69 Posts